Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for the younger crowd (about video games)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xyllion, Jan 29, 2003.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Ok, I admit it. I'm getting older and have lost touch with the things of my youth. So, now my children want a video game and I'm woefully ignorant of the new game consoles. Anyone care to fill me in on the good and bad of the various game consoles out there?

Thanks!

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alrighty,

PlayStation 2: Tons of games, has been out a while, TONS of games, DVD player you can control with a remote, and tons of games. get a memory card (cheap) so you can save your games. this I do belive is a 128bit system?

XBOX:Utter crap, since Sony owns playstation2, they have the rights to almost every game possible, while xbox has to scramble for ever game they can get, controls are stupid, but they have new ones out that are not so big a stupid, as far as games go, it has a few, but as far as quality, AND quanity go, playstaion has it beat into a corner. For example, the game "Marvel VS Capcom 2" was released for playstaion2, it came out MONTHS after for the XBOX. the xbox is also a 128bit(?) system with a hard drive you can store music and saved games on(neat idea, but all it's flaws don't really make up for it).

GameCube: Depending on their age, this is great for the REAL younger ones, and it's cheaper than the other game consoles, Games are pretty good, i mean, come on, it's nintendo. With games like Metriod Prime, and others, it really does shine as a great system. Did i mention it's CHEAPER than the others? And chances are, if you like nintendo type games, and are in love with mario, the games will come out on THIS platform. Check out the games, i'm thinking of picking one up just because of a few great games this thing has

Also, the the XBOX needs a "DVD converter" (another way to make money, it's just a remote that unlocks the DVD) that costs 30 bucks, whereas a playstaion2 does not....you can use the controlers for the DVD. Also, ANY playstaion games can run on Playstaion 2.

I recomend the Playstaion 2, for ease of use, huge game libary already, great games, and staying power.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Playstation2 ! for all the reasons PollyBass mentioned........and........the playstation2 tends to have more realistic games graphically than the others in my experience, but again, if your children are younger or you/they like more cutesy, platform type games then the gamecube is better.

BUT I don't know if this is just a problem with _my_ machine but whenever I watch DVDs on the playstation2 it sometimes skips alot. Not all DVDs, but some, and when I try them on my computer they run fine........but maybe that's just a problem with mine :confused:

4. ya, id say go with the PS2. its got Grand Theft Auto(unless your kids are too young, then stray from that game). Sony also has Squaresoft.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Thanks guys!

Yea, actually my oldest is 7 and my youngest is 3. Mostly it is my 7 and 5 year-olds that want the game. Before they go out and spend their Christmas money from their grandparents, I just wanted to learn a little about what is out there.

I really appreciate the detailed analysis. XBOX doesn't thrill me just because it comes from Microsoft, but it is good to know that it really does suck and isn't a real contender.

Between Nintendo and Sony, I gather from what you say that Sony has a better system. Are there games that only run on Nintendo? Given that my oldest is only 7, is Sony still the best choice?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Gamecube is my personal favorite, it has many good games that appeal to players of ALL AGES, there are cutsy cuddly creatures bouncing around on a screen for an hour or canablistic zombies eating people. The controls are very easy to use and intuitive, and the system is cheap($150) and powerful

PS 2 definatly has the most games, and the dvd player is a nice bonus, but I find that many games on PS2 are truly un-original, and are all just clones of every other game, Gamecube imo has more inventive and creative games that even if they are silly(super monkey ball) still offer a fun gaming experience.

Xbox is pretty weak, but it does has some great things going for it, dvd player, internal hd(so you can add your own soundtracks to games from your own CDs) and it is very powerful, but many of the Xbox games lack...well....fun. there are a couple of really good Xbox games.

I would almost recomend getting a Game Boy Advance for your 7 year old, but then the 5 year old might get jealous...Game Boy advance is a great little system, my brother got one, and its really fun.

overall, for the kids I say Gamecube, especially because Nintendo is trying to shake their little kid image, so as your kids get older there will be games continuing to cater to their interests. Nintendo has many really good in-house game development teams as well as godo relationships with other companies, all the "only for nintendo" games are of the highest quality and they are really fun! when PS2 doesn't have many exclusive titles(final fantasy and GTA come to mind though) and "only for xbox games" are just beacuse Microsoft are paying the companies ENORMOUS amounts of money to only make games for xbox.

Squaresoft is making gamecube and GBA games now(they recently made amends with nintendo)

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've actually been playing the XBox and had the controllers stop working. We rebooted a couple of times, and still--no worky. Just before the owner came close to throwing the controllers against the wall, they started to work again.

That's when we realized, "Oh, yeah--it's still a Microsoft operating system. It doesn't have to have any reason to flake out." :D

I've got a PS2, and it's great--bought it new about 2 months after the system was released, and it's worked like a champ for the duration. Wide variety of games, too, and for $199 a real bargain.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wow. Some real Anti-XBox feelings here! I happen to LOVE my XBox. One of the most common complaints about it are about the controller, but I think it's more comfortable than the PS2 controller. But since this would be for younger kids, I'd recommend the PS2. I play my PS2 a good bit more than the XBox, but that's mostly because I love GTA3 and Gran Turismo 3. There are more games aimed towards a younger audience availble for PS2 than XBox. I agree with all the above votes for PS2, but just wanted to defend the XBox a little here. :D

9. I'd add a vote for PS2, there are so many games available (as mentioned before, it plays all the PS1 games) that there's bound to be plenty that your 7 year old would like.

BA: My PS2 does the same thing to DVDs, as does one of my mate's. I reckon that after finishing the US and Japan version of the PS2, they got lazy and did a really half-assed job on the UK model, and therefore its useless as a DVD player :D.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For your kids I think the GameCube fits the bill. It's cheaper, has more games geared towards them, and is a more "fun" system. I have a PS2 myself, and find myself pining for GameCube. Games like Mario Sunshine and Mario Party 4 are just too much fun, as well as Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime. Plus, GameCube also has the Madden Football games available to it, and that's what really matters. :D Plus, GC is cheaper.

Ah yes, and be-all end-all argument for GameCube- SUPER MONKEY BALL. Your kids will love it. You will love it. I love it.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    go with ps2....

bp13

12. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    For the age of your kids I would recomend Gamecube, as it is definitley more geared for their age group. If they were 15 or 16 I would say PS2 for sure. X-BOX is not as bad a people say it is in this thread, but the only way that I would own one would be in addition to having a PS2.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i agree - for younger kids the gamecube is where it's at. there are only a couple games that I'D want on it, but some really cool stuff nonetheless.

i still like the ps2 better for me though.

14. For all the bad things said about Xbox, there is one crowing glory for it. Four little letters:

HALO

Possibly the greatest video game ever, it's graphics, challenge and real-life-like qualities give it an astounding jump up from other conventional games. Also VERY addicting, as I played it at my fiancees house for almost 24 hours straight (with her father, mind you:D)

But it still has a lot of downsides, expecailly the lack of games and the extra cost to get the DVD converter.

Either a PS2 or a Gamecube will be your best bets. Or you could go old school and get an original Nintendo, the one with Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

15. The XBox really depends on who you are. Its sort of the console for PC gamers. All its buttons, the fact that it is huge! And has tons of untamed power. It also is the first system to have effective network hook-up and online servers, so its one of the first choices for PC gamers looking for a fix away from the desktop. XBox made its controllers smaller, but they're still the biggest of all the consoles (not by much though) but a lot of games on XBox really appeal to Teens age 14-17 or older. Lots of shooters, a bunch of sports and racing titles, not really games your young kids could get into.

PS2 has backwards compatibility (so you can play older PS1 games as well as PS2) Its got a DVD player, so a little something for you (XBoX has this too, I think) and there's a huge and diverse catalog of games. I would reccommend:

Sly Cooper and the Thieveus Raccoonus

Ratchet and Clank

Jak and Daxter

Klonoa 2

Kingdom Hearts

All these games are really good kids titles, Kingdom hearts has a bunch of Disney characters in it too. Probably a plus for the kids.

GameCube is the epitome of a equal-oppurtunity system. Most of its games are geared towards younger audiences but can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It has a few mature titles, but not many, and Nintendo has some of the best licenses around. Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Capcom. GC doesn't have a DVD player and operates with little mini-CDs. Definately a lot of fun games. I guess it comes down to price.

Incidentally, there's rumors that Sony will drop the price of the PS2 too $99. It will probably happen, but its hard to tell when.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

The ONLY reason ANYONE gets an XBOX.
    It's a good game, but I wouldn't feel like spending 200 bucks for a system i would only play one game on.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

As a Video Game "review guy" for a respected magizine, yes, it will happen, it always does. If you look back at the PS1's change in price,,, it almost always happens after the same amount of time (price changes). Milk them dry with the new system,,,,,later on,,,,change your price lower, forceing other system makers to lower their price as well. it's a great system. I would go ahead and get the PS2 right now, and not wait for the price change, I have a weird feeling it's not going to drop for a while. Not unless the words "PS3 In develompent" come up....

18. Well one reason for getting the xbox is that you can do away with the controllers and fit it with a keyboard and mouse! I ´generally hate all gaming consoles, on upgradability reasons. After all the xbox is just a pc in a small case, so if you really want to, you can mod it as you like. Try that with a ps2...

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Try what? Playing tons of awesome games with no compatibility problems? These are GAMING systems. not "screw around with it, but look, it's got this stuff that no one really gives i crap about but it's REALLL cool!!!"

People want a gaming system. Not a pc. if they wanted a pc, they should go out, and get one.

20. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I love my xbox, but I have never really gotten into playstation 2. Sure, they have a huge quantity of games, but the quality on most of these games is lacking in huge ways. Just not the kind of games I like. And as far as xbox being unreliable, the only problem I have had with mine (a first generation, got it the day it came out) it that the cd player started making funny grinding sounds when you first put a disk in after my little brother dropped it :D Still runs perfectly fine though