1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for the younger folks....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So I live in this town one hour south of Seattle, Washington. A military community to some degree. We've got the Seattle Mariners up to the north of us, and the next team is down in the Bay Area.....the Giants and A's.

I walk into the Lids at my local mall today to get a baseball cap, and there is a HUGE section of the wall dedicated to Cincinnati Reds caps. Real deal New Era fitted caps in the standard home style and the alternate cap, the ones that are $34 each. I'm talking eight or nine rows high by 10 hats wide. It seriously takes up a third of the wall. More Reds hats than Mariner hats. I ask the guy what the deal is with all the Reds hats, and he tells me he can't keep them in stock. He also said most of those I see now would be sold by next weekend.

What is the deal with Cincinnati Reds hats? Am I missing something? Current Mariner legend Ken Griffey Junior is from Cincy, but is back here playing now. I can't figure out any other connection between Lacey, Washington and Cincinnati, Ohio.

BTW....this particular Lids store had zero NHL caps. :(

-Mike

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    That's no surprise.

I can't answer your question; I imagine that it's just a fad to have a red cap with a C on it.

Oh and 34 bucks for a hat????,...ouch.

3. I should know about this, BUT THE COOL KIDS WON'T LET ME SIT AT THEIR TABLE!!!! Jerks....

4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Can't say that I understand why that would be, but there might be a few possibilities.

Any gangs in the area represented by the letter C or the color red in the area?
    Any neighborhoods, areas or schools represented by C or red around?

5. well im FROM cincinnati and i had to have that explained to me.

fred durst liked the yankees. steve from new found glory loves the reds. i thought it was a favorite thing.. but apparently as do a lot of hip hop kids.

the best explanation i got was that we were the first official team or something, and its a history and respect sort of thing. half of the reds hats they sell arent red. ive seen all colors.. just the reds C logo on it.

6. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Crips

I just turned 50 this last week... so... WTH would I know. :meh:

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Dunno either, I don't wear hats and I'm not from your area.

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There is a high school around the corner from the mall called Capital High School, but they are maroon and yellow. The "C" the school uses looks way different from the Reds "C".

No gangs that I know of, but I'm pretty much out of it when it comes to the latest trends and so on.

As for being the Crips street gang, not possible. The Crips fly blue, not red.

-Mike

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    C is for...

Rhymes with aunt?

10. um. It probably has something to do with rap.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also a bunch of kids wanting to be like The Game or Lil' Wayne who've been seen wearing a Reds hat.

12. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Except that crips are blue... C'mon, I'm white and I know this!

Can't?

13. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
  14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm pretty sure crips are blue and bloods are red. But I'm an old guy too.

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nice detective work, even if you are a Devils fan. :D

That pretty much explains it to me now. We have a good amount of gang banger wannabes around here. You know the ones...

Group A........the white kids who dress OG and roam around the mall or movie theater talking a hard game and fronting like they are hard core. After the show is over, they drive home in their Lexus or Acura.

Group B.......the black kids that have parents in the military and know they'll get their a$$ whipped if one of their parents caught them at the mall walking around dressed up looking like a clown.

-Mike

16. PurpleGiant

PurpleGiant

Apr 1, 2010
    Salem,OR
    I have no idea. As far as the no NHL hats, here in the Northwest we live in a hockey black hole. If it wasn't for Vs., and the occasional CSN Bay Area broadcast on FSN, we would be screwed

By the way, Go Sharks!!!

17. Bloods wear them.I had the same question, asked a kid at my school and found out that bloods wear them because its red and the c stands for crips out of mockery and disrespect.

18. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    $30 is cheap I have friends that buy em for $70... hell no!

I have a cookie monster one and a celtics one and thats it for me (both were on sale for under $20 each)

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx

Group C..... White kids who listen to 70's punk with their skinny jeans and band tees.

Hell I would know. :rolleyes:

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Could be... Set Trippin- to wear 2 different gang colors at one time. ex: Damn!! Daydai is wearin a red shirt with his blue kicks, that n****'s bound to get shot!