1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for those in College

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Dec 30, 2001.

  1. What do you think, will an SWR Henry 8x8 cab or a Mesa 4x10 cab or Ampeg SVT 410HLF be too big for a dorm room?
  2. hammong


    Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    Generally speaking, if you can HEAR it in the next room, it's going to be too big. That pretty much rules out anything bigger than a Pignose.

    Personally, I have no problem turning down my amp to a level that doesn't disturb the neighbors (townhouse) and still lets me practice. That volume knob goes from 1-10. ;)

  3. fast slapper

    fast slapper

    Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Yes, but that wouldn't stop me from using those.
  4. A dorm room is small.. I figure the biggest you can get into a dorm room like mine without sacrificing a lot of space would be a 115 or a 210.... you could put in others though even an 810... it would just mean loss of a lot of your space... heres a tip... if you have a fridge put your cab under it. space can be saved by stacking dorm room items as high as possible with a small footprint.


  5. It'll boil down to how big your dorm room is, how much of your personal space you're willing to give up, and what your university's policies on noise are like. I have a practice amp with a single 8-inch speaker, but since I spend most of my time using headphones and I'm not in a band, that's fine for my situation (who wants to hear the beginning bassist fumble around while they're trying to study, anyway? :)) Since I assume you've been playing bass longer and may want to play in a band, you'll probably want something bigger than what I use, but the only way to figure out how big is to check out your dorm room. Have you visited your college campus yet and seen what kind of room you'll have?

    If you can't keep the big stuff in your room but need it for playing with a band, college campuses often have storage space for rent somewhere around them, or you can keep it at home (if you live close enough.)
  6. I used two old 15" Musicman cabs and a MM head while I was in college. But this was a fraternity house, so things were more acceptable. Rooms were smaller, but we had common areas. So room space/volume wasn't a big problem. Everyone played loud music, and we would have band practices there.

    So, basically I'm not much help :p
  7. EString


    Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    At UC Santa Cruz, amplified instruments are not allowed unless used with headphones.
  8. tomtrb


    Apr 17, 2001
    just make sure you can get that 810 up the stairs and down the hall and into your room without breaking your back. I have a 410 (my only amp) and there is no elevator in my dorm, but I deal with it, 'cause Im trying to gig every chance I get and I cant afford a good-quality smaller amp right now. As far as noise levels, most of my neighbors play their stereos alot louder than I practice. Your volume is up to you, and you probably wont be the loudest person in your dorm. It just depends on how much space you want to sacrifice and how much gear you want to haul around - AND - there is no privacy - people will see you carrying whatever it is you have into your room. I have my gear insured, and I always make sure my room is locked, and Im lucky to have a roommate I trust, but you have to be carefull about keeping alot of expensive gear in your room.
  9. FalsehoodBass


    Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I don't know if you meant too big volume wise or space wise, but assuming you meant space...

    I had the same problem 2 years ago as a freshman at ucsb. The trick is to be able to use your cabs as a nightstand, or similiar piece of furniture, so it doesn't get in the way as much. this brings on 2 problems

    Beer and computers.

    If you can, DEFINATELY get a cover for your cab. Don't end up crying when you, or more likely a roomate spills any sort of liquid on it. It's a small inconvienience to take it off, but very worth the added protection, IMO.

    If you put that many hardcore magnets within 6 feet or so of a computer, ESPECIALLY if you're using both at the same time, your magnetic field is really going to mess up the computer. Hard drives are VERY sensitive to that sort of stuff, so be careful.
  10. Good point to many of you and i appreciate your advice. I figure number 1, i'll look into seeing if they have like a storage space for me to rent up there on campus. I was already planning to get my gear insured for college.(none of it really has sentimental value) The idea of using it as furniture, i like that, not bad, that's clever, i may do that. And getting a cover, yeah, i won't have a problem doing that. If it's a Roadready cab, i won't even need one. But thanks, i appreciate all of your help.
  11. SRSiegel

    SRSiegel Guest

    Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i may be a little late with this thread, but....

    im a freshman at the university of Michigan. my room measures 12x14 feet total, and i have one room mate. hes cool about it, and so i keep my stack in the room most of the time when im not playing with a band. its a 210+18, about 5'6" tall. so it takes up a lot of space. i use it as a nightstand next to my lofted bed. it stays in teh corner of the room, and so its not too much in the way. i just ask the people around me if they mind if i practice, and half the time i can find someone who wants to join me on gui*ar. teh volume has to be set lower though, otherwise the heavey vibrations caused can cause damage to my room mates computer (yes hes had to reformat because of this) so bottom line, i think youd be fine, just be responsible about it. and defenitly keep your door locked at all times.
  12. Thanks, and you're definately not too late. I'm still interested in hearing what others of your do or have done.
  13. SRSiegel

    SRSiegel Guest

    Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    one more thing man... make sure you get some casters, or better yet, a hand truck. id reccomend the hand truck becuase your cab can then rest directly on the floor/stage which helps with the sound. plus you can use the hand truck for other stuff as well. also... get a head/cab setup, rather than a combo... so that you can turn your cab on its side and use it as a bench if needs be... and still have the head right side up. best of luck.
  14. I've found it helpful to have a small amp with me as well. A lot of the time last year I would go over to a friend's place who lived in a different part of campus and play... no way I could've done that without a little amp that I could lug around easily.
  15. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    Yes you will need a cover for a roadready cab! There's several places on it that beer can get into. I have a Road Ready 410 and the back has a port thats about the width of a coffee mug, and then theres the tweeter adjustment dealy (I think it might be called an atteunator - not sure) that beer can get into. And that cover that goes on the front aint watertight either. Watch out!
  16. JimM


    Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I seem to remember reading a review of an SVT in Harmony Central.
    The guy was living in a dorm and had an 8x10 cab in there.The strangest part was...He was a guitar player!
  17. ouch... a guitar through an SVT would be really... really loud

Share This Page