1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for those that use Keys for synth bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mingus Addict, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I'm currently using a MicroKorg live for some synth bass lines. I run my bass and keyboard into an AB box before other effects and my amp. Does everyone who does this just use an AB box? I was thinking about using some sort of blending/mixing solution so that I don't have to hit the switch on the AB box to change instruments. This would help on songs where I go quickly from bass on one part to key-bass on another.

I was considering something like this: http://www.morleypedals.com/dabymix.html But I'm not sure what other options there are.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I use an AB/Y box, but it's better if it's a buffered splitter, like the Radial BassBone. I used a cheap Morley AB/Y, and had some issues with volume from one or the other outs. A buffered box would solve the problem. As to speed, it kinda is what it is, unless you run 2 different rigs.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The venerable Boss LS/2 on mix mode will to this perfectly without having to press anything to switch signals. I use one to mix the two signals from my Attitude bass into the single input of my amp.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use a little mini mixer that Preston from Wounded Paw made me. I've tried the Boss LS-2 and the Behringer Micro Mix for this purpose, and the LS-2 was a tad noisy (the Behringer very much so).

5. Hmm, the LS-2 seems like a good call, but when I hear the word noise I get scared. I hate noise! Bryan, do mind sharing a few more details about the Wounder Paw? Specifically, how big is it and how much was it?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had mine made to just be a two-in, one out active box with no dials or knobs; just an LED. It's about 2" x 4" and was under $100 IIRC. The noise on the Boss wasn't bad- it was pretty minor, and it's a very inexpensive box especially when considering all of the great features it has. I just preferred the really simple plug-and-play box I ordered with no noise.

7. Wow, that sounds perfect! Thanks very much. If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all ears but I think I've found what I was looking for.

8. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    I use the LS-2. no noise problems. you can get hum issues with passive A/B boxes, but the LS-2 has a transformer and i've never had any hum, buzz or anything. as for speed of switching, it's not really a problem for me. just make sure the pedal is right where you need it. i can easily hit the pedal in the time it takes to move my hands move from the bass to the keys.

9. I wouldn't say it's a major problem, but it would be nice to have one less thing to think about. The other thing is, I would have the option to play bass with open strings/tapping on one hand while playing synth with the other.

Of course I just realized the down side of that is that the bass could be making some noises that I don't want it to while I'm trying to play just synth. I guess I should think about that a little.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, using an actual switch avoids any unwanted sound from whichever instrument you're NOT playing. Plus, playing both at once through the same rig is not ideal, either. Seperate rigs, a whole 'nother thing. My new band has me playing both, so I'll be looking for a new switch as well- though I'm pretty sure the BassBone is what I want.

11. putsia

putsia

Mar 18, 2009
    Ya'll could just use one of those 2-4 channel mixers. They cost next to nothing and work well. Ofcourse the switching issue remains but volume pedal in bass chain would help with that while adding a new dimension to your playing options, too. Small mixers also have quite some routing possibilities you'd have to spend loads of money for if you were to buy them in the boutique pedal format.

12. highly recommend just getting a 4-channel mixer. Mackie makes a small one that is practically the size of a large pedal. They are WAY more versitile for uses you might not have even thought of, feeding a PA, recording, etc...

13. I have some thoughts on this too.

I wanted to route my bass and little phatty thru to my rig. Also wanted to mix my effected sound with dry sound. Looked and looked and looked.

Lehle makes a 3 into 1 pedal mixer - but it's like 300 bucks, and not very flexible. After that, I found very little available.

What there is out there, only offered pieces of the equation.

I ended up getting a Mackie - and a little larger one because I wanted to use the effects loops to send signals from Bass and Phatty thru my Foogertron 7000.

So I use 3 channels, wet/dry bass, phatty (I use a signal splitter to create two bass signals)

I actually like the look of the Morley for what you want.

I wish there was more options out there available for this. It seems that many products have part of the functionality, but nobody has all of it.

BTW - I never did get the effects looping to work correctly with the Mackie Mixer. The send/receive controls in the loop only add/remove gain - there didn't seem to be a way to make it 50% wet or 100% wet.... I could hear the effect but I couldn't make it do what a blender pedal can do.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's the thing with the BassBone, you get 2 INs for bass and synth, an OUT to your amp, plus an fx loop and DI. Seems like the perfect solution. (now, I'm going to look it up and make sure that's all true)- but from what I remember, it's an ideal fix.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I play my bass and my synth thru 2 seperate PA channels.

16. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I play full-on keyboards and bass in my band, not at the same time, but sometimes in the same song, like the intro on keys and the rest on bass, stuff like that. So its not a fair comparison, I guess, but I always have separate amps for keys and bass. Guess that's not in the cards for the way you are considering.

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    All instruments, bass, guitar, synths, go to mixer. Bass and guitar to processor then mixer, synths straight to mixer. (Novation KS4 and Korg Microkorg) I also use a Korg kaos Pad3 to add various effects and/or other bass synth textures. It also goes to mixer. I use the Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer but could use the 12 ch one instead. Lol.

18. Weird... I just got a MicroKorg to use for keyboard synth bass stuff and I was about to post a thread asking for tips on integrating it into my setup...

Perfect timing! Great thread. :D

19. it's a good idea to keep an "ear" out for EQ. If you are running bass and keys simultaneously like I do sometimes, be sure the synth tones don't drown out the bass.

that is another great aspect of having a mini-mixer, is that you can not only control the individual volumes, but the tone somewhat.

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Good point. Also a lot of Moog and other synth bass sounds seriously need EQing to take off the edge and make them more fitting for bass sounds.

I literally do a 4k roll-off, practically 60% cutoff. You'll keep the resonance and mwah of those sounds without the super dancey synth aspect. This is for pop and gospel music.