Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for those who drum!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Apr 27, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    anybody have any experience out there with electronic drums? My church might be willing to buy a set, but I would like to stay in the $2000 or less range. Can a complete set be bought for that? I don't think we can get a roland set unless we could find a good used set.
    OUr church is about to invest in a plexiglass screen and drum mikes. I I told them for what that would cost we could sell our existing aucustic set and go electronic!
    anybody, xush?

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    man.... hmmmmmm

Welll you could get a V club set.. or used set of Vdrums.

personally.. i dont like electronics as much as a NICE set of Mic'd acousics...
    Also you could look into.. the shure package of mics.

Its like 500 bucks but you get.. 2 sm57s..3 a50d's??(am I right?)
    and a beta 52..

VERY NICE STUFF though!

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For that kind of money you could get some used Vdrums. Probably not the top of the line ones, but the next best ones (sorry I forget the names). The drummer in my old band had an acoustic set and Vdrums. The vdrums were pretty cool, but I still prefer the sound of an acoustic set. Vdrums also feel different (especially the cymbals). If you do decide to go electric make sure the drummer(s) are comfortable with the way an electronic set feels.

4. I agree with Foxy, for $2,000 you can get set up with a nice mic package and a screen with some money left over. I don't think you will be happy with what you can get for $2,000 in an electronic kit.

I will also admit that I am quite biased toward acoustic kits.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Same here. Our previous drummer has a big, top of the line set of electronic drums by Roland, and a bunch of midi boxes and sound generators and thingymajings on the side that cost him well over $4000. And yet, my Tama RockStar acoustic set sounds MUCH better.

Got it complete with lots of extras for $1000. Another $400-$500 would get you a very nice mic package, and you are all set. Mind you, RockStar kit is so loud, you'd need to play a pretty large venue to have to amplify it.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, I'd be torn in that situation...
    I do find the edrums to be eminently convenient in any live setting. Very flexible too.
    But there are definite areas where acoustics surpass them.
    So it'd be hard for me to say one way or the other. I guess a lot would depend on who would be playing them. Some drummers might not adapt well, especially if they are prejudiced against edrums already.

It's a tough call. I personally think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, I'd recommend them; but it's not me who'll have to deal with it. I'd make sure your drummers are willing to make the switch.
    I'm sure you know you don't want to have to deal with a pouting drummer!

I haven't played anything but Roland, but I hear good things about the other makers too. I would think you could find something workable in that price range if you shop used. Ebay usually has all kinds of kits. An old TD7 kit would be pretty good for basic stuff.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Musiciansbuy gives you a DTXpress II, a throne and a basspedal for $1000. You'd have $1000 left over for some dynamic live mics and plexi shields.

A lot of drummers can't stand the rubber pads on the cheapass kits like the DTXpress or the Roland V-Club. But Pintech offers cheapie kits (around $1000 or less) with the woven mesh heads, and those feel a little more like an acoustic kit. They don't come with a brain, but are compatible with Roland's.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Seems to me that the whole exercise is designed to reduce the volume from the stage. I've seen people to use electric drums to get the stage volume so quiet that the click/thump noise of the stick hitting the rubber pad became a problem.

I've also seen mixed results from drum screens. The problem here is that the drummmer can't hear the rest of the band so it all gets sloppy.

I've found the best way to reduce drum volume is to make the drummer use hot-rods instead of sticks. Either that or buy some thin pads that sit on top of the drum skin and absorb some volume. Be careful to get the right pads - some block all of the sound.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    He already uses hot rods and remo drum mutes. It's still too loud for our church. I wish I knew more about the plexiglass screens. Do they deflect the sound it seems in our situation, if they deflect the sound it would just bounce off the wall behind the drummer and me almost as loud as they were before the screen.
    I have inclued a snapshot of the church so you can see what kind of setup we are dealing with

Mark
    [​IMG]

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Gees - all that and still too loud? They're not miced either........

The drum screens I've seen are quite high - 6 feet or more. The theory is that even if it's reflects off the back wall, it won't escape the perspex until it's way above ear level. They do work but from your pic I can see another problem.......

The first time we saw a drum screen, we were hanging signs saying "Do not feed the drummer" and "Danger, beware of the Drummer". They really do look like a clear cage. It is quite off-putting even to a pub crowd, probably more so to a church congregation.

I'll hunt around for a picture...........

At this stage I'd be leaning towards electric drums. Back were we started but at least we've coverd all your options....

11. Well, there's only one answer. Get the congregation to sing louder.

This is always a problem with we Lutherans. Well, that and clapping on 2 & 4.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I wanted to post an update for those who helped on this thread. THe budget was approved for the new drums, so we have $2000 to play with. We are looking at the roland v-club set, but with an upgraded snare pad (the mesh one) and an extra cymbal. We cn get that, and a montoring system consisting of two small mixers for $2000. We will add headphones so the drummer and I can create blend between our own sounds, each other's sounds, and the main mix that has the singers, keyboad and piano in it.

We're pretty excited about the upgrade, we are really tired of the sound problems. Last week, the sound guy had me turned all the way off in the mains, because he said my little 2x8 I use as a monitor was too loud, butmy wife was sitting in the second row and couldn't hear me. Apparently the bass frequscies get trpeed at the back of the auditorium. but the front half of the church can't hear them at all. The building is an antique that is due for remodeling in the next year, so who knows what it will be a year from now.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Sounds interesting. I've had a little more experience now with V-drum gigging, and am pretty much doing what you'll be doing with the mixers and headphones. I found that by just wearing one cup, I get a pretty good feel of what's going on around me. With both on, it was just too hard to get the balance right to play with the right feeling and still hear what I needed to hear.

I'll be switching to Sony earbuds at the next gig, but will probably only wear one side of those too.

I've REALLY been enjoying working with the V's. They are wonderful for gigging, you can practically talk to each other while playing on stage.

Hope they get the bass frequencies situation worked out.

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    thanks for the quick reply to an old thread.

Tell me Mark, which monitor system would you go with?
    I like this one because it's smaller, simpler, cheaper and has the xlr pass through, so we wouldn't have to split so many cables. I would be using my bass as the XLR, and the drums as the monitor jack input. With the single ear headphones, I would still be able to hear the sound coming from the floor monitors. Which one would you go with?

rolls 2 band mixer

I like this one because it seems it would do much more, for only $10 more it seems to good to pass up.

behringer ub502

thanks for the input

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Here's an update to an old topic.
    We ended up going with the roland v-stage, and using headphones. we have a mix signal going into the roland module, and the drummer can mix his headphone level and blend them with the rest of the mix.

They sound great, but people are so used to hearing the drums loud, that the guys up front thought they were too soft today. Being the A/V director, it's nice to get that complaint for once.I didn't hear any complaint from the people in back.

I've included a short sound clip

16. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Here a picture, we've had a renovation since the last picture was taken.
    [​IMG]

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Glad to hear it all worked out.

Did the drummer have any trouble adjusting to the different feel of the V-drums Vs traditional skins?

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    He seemes to like them, he said they make him sound like a better drummer. I guess the processed attack and tone and the evenness of the dynamics sound more like a recording.
    We actually bought them a couple of weeks ago, but I insisted that he take them home for as long as need so he could get comfortable with them, and learn the ins and outs of operating the module.