1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question for those who have the tascam bass trainer

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by funkybass, Apr 6, 2009.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    My instructor wants me to start learning songs by ear. I thought about getting the tascam cd bass trainer, so I can slow it down and loop sections to make things easier. My question is, i have a lot of cd's but I have a lot of mp3s as well. Is there any way to hook an IPOD up to the cd trainer and use that instead of cds?

2. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    you can get Tascam MPBT1 Portable MP3 Bass Trainer. It uses mp3 format.

However, I recommend a program called transcribe. It's for a computer and it's only $50 as opposed to $200 for the tascam.

3. I've got the cd version of the trainer, use it with headphones at work during lunch, love it. Bought a 1/8 to 1/8 cable at Radio Shack and plug my Ipod into the input jack on the trainer. You can't use the slow and loop features when using the Ipod, gotta burn a practice disk . It an expensive unit and the cd cover is fragile, easy to break, but I use it alot, money well spent.

4. the tascam mp3 version is a lot more convenient. i kept my tascam cd version too, but find the size of it and no rechargeable battery to be a bit of a hindrance. great practice aids, both of them though...

5. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Sent you a pm, I'm just getting ready to go grab one at a local shop, but the comment on the fragile cover has me curious. I'll wait for your thoughts :bassist:

edt: ah, see you logged off before I got my pm sent. I'll just check it out at the shop.

6. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Don't know if you got one, but I've got one and can't recommend them highly enough. I tried TRANSCRIBE the software on demo, and it works fine but you can only use that with your computer.

With the tascam, you can take it to gigs and practice in downtime, or wherever. It's extremely handy.

Haven't noticed the cover being fragile and I've dropped mine two or three times - so I would describe it as being pretty robust!

7. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Ok, thanks Paul. Yea, I grabbed one. Just got home with it and haven't tried it yet. The portability is why I wanted it, and the footswitch flashback feature is kind of what finally sold me on it. I downloaded the manual a couple of days ago and read through it.

I've already got a footswitch that I think is the right type. Mine is a dual switch, so I hope it works. If not, no biggie.

Time to give it a spin :bassist:

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I have the cd version and I cant find anything wrong with the cd cover. fragile? maybe, but I try to take care of my stuff so I haven't had any problems.
    The Tascam works great, I'm glad I got it, I use it quite a bit.

9. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

I have one of the CD-BT1 MKII versions that's cd only and I've had it for 3 years. I also bought the power supply and leave it plugged in and set-up in my practice room. I can't do without it. It's great for looping difficult parts but I find it especially useful if you need to learn songs for your band in different keys than they were recorded in. The sound gets a little warbly when you get past a whole step sharp or flat but I've learned to shut that out. The assets far outweigh the liabilities with this unit. And the cover is not the problem. It's the hinge pins on the cover that are the problem with these units. They're very small and after a lot of opening/closing cycles, they just get weak and snap off. That happened to mine about a year ago and I freaked but was able to keep on using the unit and was just very careful opening and closing the cover. It will still open in a hinged fashion just not on the hinges. So far it's still working fine. I've tried calling a couple of factory reps on whether the new MP3 units warble as much as the cd units when playing the tunes sharp or flat and nobody could tell me anything so if any of you happen to know that answer, I'd appreciate finding that out. )-(

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Love mine! Hope you enjoy it!

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Looks like Tascam redesigned the CD Bass Trainer again. The one with the flimsy cover looks like this:

[​IMG]

The newest revision looks like this:

CDBT2_open.

12. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Thanks, just gave it a spin. Works good, sounds good. Gonna read back through the manual.

Yea, mine is the new one. Seems pretty solid. Heavier than I thought it would be.

I looked at the "open" slide that releases the lock on the top, and the locking part of it. I think it will be ok. I'll get in the habit of sliding it when I close it as well instead of letting it click shut. Might cut down on the wear of the 2 "teeth" that lock it down.

Back to the manual. I want to tackle the Theme From Barney Miller of the old TV show.:bassist:

13. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    I've got the Mk11 - the one with 'the flimsy cover.'

As I've said I've dropped it a few times and still works fine. It goes to gigs with me so I can practice/warm up in downtime, so it gets carted in a laptop case. Seems pretty solid to me.

I also got the power lead - should have suggested to the original OP to make sure he got a power lead, it eats batteries once you start using the CD with battery power.

14. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Paul, can I run the Tascam into my amp using the effects return ?

15. My amp has an imput for cd/mp3 players. I plug it into that.

16. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Maybe - depends on your amp.

Personally - especially for transcribing - I prefer to hear everything on headphones so I just plug my bass into the bass trainer and monitor the bass and the CD with headphones.

If you wanted to plug into your amp - and I'm guessing you've only got one input on your amp - the easy way to do it would be to go to your local Maplin or Tandy (electronics shop) and get some adapters.

There's a few ways of doing it - you could plug your bass into the trainer and then take a lead from the trainer to your amp using a mini jack to 1/4" jack converter.

Or you can get a converter that will take two 1/4 inch jack inputs and convert it to one 1/4 inch jack, plug your bass into it and then using the mini jack to 1/4" jack converter as described above you can plug that into the same thing as your bass, then plug them both into the amp (need to be careful which way round you do it, as on my converter the overall volume is controlled by which way round you plug them in - but a bit of fiddling will get you there).

Either of those ways should work, and should only cost a few dollars.

Hope that helps.

Paul
    you

17. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Ok, mine is a GK 700RBII. Only inputs are the instrument and f/x return.

Ok Paul Thanks. I'm hip to the cables/adapters I'd need, but I just want to make sure I won't damage the head or Tascam.

The Instrument Input of the GK head's specs are ...
    Level: 0.6V Rms or 1.6V Rms w/ -14dB pad
    Impedance of 1M Ohm

The Return Input is 50k Ohm.

The Tascam's line out spec is :
    Standard output level: -10dBV
    Maximum output level: +6 dBV
    (no Impedance/Ohm value listed in the manual)

I'll contact GK and see if this is enough info for them to answer my concerns. I'll post their answer :bassist:

18. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    Hmm, just called GK and the person I talked to said that I couldn't use the return input to connect the Tascam. She didn't ask for the specs of the Tascam line out, even after I told her I had them in front of me.

After hanging up, I see the manual for the head advises for the EffectsReturn:
    ....... " May also be used as a secondary input of another instrument or CD player....." :eyebrow:

I'll just get a 1/8 " stereo to 1/4 " mono cable and plug the Tascam into the Return Input w/the output level at zero, and plug the bass into the instrument input and go from there.

19. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    I really love the MP3 version. Very cool functionality. I can use it for hours on a charge too.

Also there is freeware out there called Best Practice that can do the slow down and looping thing. It is really easy to use and free. I use this when I am by the computer as it is a bit more efficient.

20. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I love the mp3 version. It lets me practice at night when the kids are asleep. I bring it to band rehearsal and if we need to hear a song I run it through the PA. I bring it to gigs and use it as a tuner. Sold my rack tuner once I got this.