1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for training

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by leakepeter, May 11, 2011.

1. leakepeter

leakepeter

Apr 28, 2009
    London
    Hello mr Manring I have a question about you, did you have any form of classical training on any instrument before you became a bass player. I am wondering if a player is a better piccolo bass player or solo bassist if he had training on let's say classical guitar for example.

I ask this because I have barely enough time to practice on bass, and now I've been taking piano lessons as a secondary instrument, plus the time I use learning more about mixing producing and etc, it just makes me wonder if its a bad thing that I started out purely on bass and just focused on it, because at the same time I have multi instrumentalist friends that are good players they just never seem to be as in touch with their instrument as someone who dedicates more time to their main one, I am a bass student looking to become a solo bassist so I want to know if it's worth sacrificing your time on the bass or not.

If you could give me some thoughts or directions on this it would be kindly appreciated