1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Traynor YBA-300 Owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkHead, Oct 28, 2018.

1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    ....What 4 Preamp Tubes(brand) came installed in your YBA-300?

Thanks,
    FH

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. There's a few threads on them back when they were the new thing. Have a search.

3. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks. I tried that but no info found. Mine are 3 Sovteks and 1 JJ. Then of course the 12 JJ Power Tubes.

I just found it odd that Traynor used 3 Sovteks. My amp came directly from Traynor that way.

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Why don't you contact Traynor, they might have the info you seek, there customer service is pretty helpful

5. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    No luck there.

6. Aunty Google says 3 are 12ax7 and one is a 12au7. There's your answer.

I have swapped a few 12ax7 preamp tubes around over the years and never noticed a helluva difference so I wouldn't sweat it.

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks but I knew that. I meant specifically what brand. Mine came from a Traynor with 3 Sovtek and 1 JJ. I was just curious what other people had from the factory.

8. While I can't provide any real answers it might have to do with either a cost thing or a tone thing. Maybe Traynor finds that specific layout to operate within certain parameters better on average, or just sounds better. Or, maybe, they just happened to be cheaper to buy in bulk at that time.

I mean, I'm really no expert when it comes to tubes, I'm just putting ideas out there.

rodl2005 likes this.
  9. Some of the other amps have "hand selected" preamp tubes. They are guitar amps. I guess we get the pick of the hand rejected ones.

10. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    It sounds fantastic so no problem there. I thought Sovteks were good tubes. No?

11. My Super Bassman has 6 x 6550 and all pre amp tubes are Sovtek, and there's been no issues in the 6 yrs that I've had it.

dbbltime and FunkHead like this.