Question for TRB-5 players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman308, Jun 22, 2003.

1. bassman308

Jun 21, 2003
    I've heard pro's and con's about the TRB-5II series. Many owners of the original TRB-5's claim the new models are not as good. Has the quality slipped? I know the scale is longer, the electronics should be better. So what's your feelings on this topic.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There are several different TRB models, so when comparing them, it's helpful to know which is which.

The original TRB-P's are neck-throughs with multilaminate necks, ebony fretboards, 34" scale, figured maple bodies, and piezo pickups in the bridge.

After those went out of production, Yamaha started building the TRBII models, which are less expensive bolt-ons with maple necks, rosewood boards, 35" scale, ash bodies, and a 3-band EQ but no piezos.

In the past couple years, they've also been building the top of the line TRBII-P models which are neck-throughs with ebony boards, 35" scale, maple(?) bodies with exotic facings, and monorail-type bridges with piezos--more of an updated version of the original TRB-P, whereas the TRBII is really a lower end (and much cheaper) bass.

I've heard that the TRBII is a fine bass for the money, but it's a rather different sort of instrument from the neck-through models.

3. bassman308

Jun 21, 2003
    Thanks Mike for the info. I didn't realize the price difference until I checked some sites after reading your reply. My sources were probably right about the TRB-5II. I'm sure it was built to compete with the original prices of the 90's models. I've played an older TRB and liked the string spacing. It seemed to have full spacing rather than narrow like many 5's on the market today.