1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for W&C Tall Font Russian users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jun 5, 2014.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I just got the Tall Font Russian and have a question regarding the tone knob; when I go past 12 o´clock it acts almost like a (reversed) volume knob, lowering the level and also thinning out the sound a lot. I have to dial in masses of extra volume to compensate. Is this normal or do I have a broken pedal?

2. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No one?

Anyway, I'll go back to the store tomorrow and hope they have a second pedal I can try.

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    In general, it's a low gain pedal that requires the volume knob to be almost maxed out at a lot of settings. Can't remember the tone acting this way on the two I had, though I usually kept it pretty low anyway. The one I had with the blend mod definitely had a similar issue. I don't have one right now to go check. If you have the ability to try another one, that sounds like the quickest option, though I can say that Matt and the W&C folks will go way above and beyond to help you out if you end up needing to contact them. (I thought I had an issue with a Mercy Phuk I bought through an online store, and after many back and forth emails they actually offered to personally send me a second one so I could A/B them at the same time!)

4. kzr750r1

kzr750r1

Aug 12, 2011
    NorCal
    I'm using it with the fuzz dimed volumn at 2 oclock and tone around the same. Not noticing it changing as you describe but then again I'm not messing with it much. Once I find that level I like just kick the tone a few degrees till I have what I'm looking for.
    This pedal has been very good for me so far.

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is normal (or at least how mine works). With the Tone all the way up it is pretty flat, while turning it down scoops out the mids, but does seem to add a lot of bass. In reality, the additional bass is inherent to the circuit, and the "flatter/brighter" settings are a result of filtering with the Tone control which also drops volume. Muff circuits all tend to thin out and lose volume in the process as you turn up the Tone filter, but the heavy bass response of the Tall Font circuit makes its brightest settings sound closest to flat to my ears- which are also the thinnest settings as on any Muff.

As mentioned you'll likely need to crank the Volume pretty well to compensate, but I've never had to turn mine past 2 o'clock and I use relatively low Gain settings.

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks guys for your input - I'm really getting no change in tone at all until 12 o'clock on the tone knob and from then on it's quickly just thinner and lower volume. Maybe it's supposed to work like that, but it's unusual and I really only get one sound from the pedal. I'll get it checked tomorrow.

Maybe I should ask to return it for a Pickle Pie B, I almost chose that one but changed my mind at the last moment.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's definitely not the most versatile pedal, but the same could be said for most 3 knob muffs! I have two pretty distinct tones I use mine for- the main one is with the Tone knob at about 2-3 o'clock at low to mid Gain for a super growly fuzz boost into my Darkglass VMT, and the second is higher Gain with the Tone around noon or a bit below for a big juicy thick vintage sustainy fuzz for a couple of my bands slower more dirge-like songs. It's the first muff I've ever had without a ton of added controls that I feel actually works well at several different settings for bass (ie- both the Gain and Tone controls are useable across their full ranges with a bass IME).

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Update: There was indeed something wrong, a second pedal in the shop had a tone knob with a bit more action instead of the kind of two-position all bass or all sizzle that the first one had.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014