Question for Walter Woods Afficionados

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marc40a, May 6, 2005.

1. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Is there a bass roll off inherent in the design? Not for EQ's sake, I'm talking a protective feature where there's a subsonic rolloff of freqs less than 40hz or so.

I'm very interested in taking the plunge but I don't want to let go of the security blanket that my current power amp's low end filter gives me... especially w/ octave and synth effects. The last thing I want to do to my cabs is send them a boosted 20hz signal from a pedal.
  2. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway

Hmmm, good question.

How loud do you play?
    Don't you just use the PA for amping the sound? -or do you just use backline?

Well, it shouldn't be neccesary to turn up the amp so much that you wreck your speakers.
  3. I've been using Walter's amps for many years and currently have my third one (an Ultra mono). Your 'low end' question is an important consideration with a Walter. I just posted a reply to a 'MOSFET vs. Class D' thread that you can take a look at.

Basically, I've always found the Walter somewhat thin on the low end (even my 1200 watt model running full power into 4ohms). After talking with many amp designers and Walter himself over the years, it seems that this is a result of the switching power supply not being able to reproduce the huge low end transients when you are pounding on the E or B string. So, for the gigs I do where I really need that extra punch in the extreme low end, I always have owned a large, traditional (i.e., analog power supply) amp.

That being said, the Walter sounds great, and the slight 'thin' low end is only a problem (IMO) if you are playing very aggressively at a very high volume is a pop or funk situation.

One thing that helps a little with this issue is turning the 'effect return' control all the way up. It seems to push the low end of the amp a little bit. Walter suggested this and it really does help.... he doesn't know why!!!!

Finally, given this switching power supply issue on the low end, you really need to get the highest wattage Walter you can afford.

PS I guess the above doesn't exactly answer you 'roll off' question, but the Walter definitely will not be sending a lot of extreme low end to your speakers based on the above.