Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Warmoth...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 19, 2005.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I thought someone else here might have the same question, so I thought I would ask it here....

Since Warmoth has block inlays, and the ability to route the neck for the inlays, what would it cost to get the mop/white inlays in a maple neck instead of the rosewood neck? I figure all things are possible, just a question of how much.

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I'd like to know that myself, good call sheepdog...

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Have you called / emailed Warmoth and asked?? Might get a quicker response that way..

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

most likely, but this way everyone could share in the knowledge. I'm not in that much of a hurry and we have at least 1 Warmoth employee here as a regular

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Might wanna try PM-ing him directly.. Don't know if or when he might stumble across this thread.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Interesting question...

As to talking directly to Warmoth - those guys are great with customer service, but the quickest way it to email directly... :)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about posting the answer when you get it?

BTW, I'm subscribing because I wanna know.

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah that white pearliod blocks and binding is pretty hot. :cool:

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    As it so happens, I just answered this question via PM for a different TB'er a few days ago.

The short answer is no, we won't do it even for more money. :(

Here's the long answer I gave before:

11. You can get it through AllParts.

I have had a similar experience with Warmoth in the past. I wanted them to do a black block inlay on a 5 string maple neck for me that I was wanting to purchase from them, and they said no. They told me that is wasen't a standard option for the 5 string necks and they didn't do custom work, period. I have heard phinominal things about the quality and fit of their products but, they seem to be as stuborn as Ernie Ball when it comes to working with their customers. If it ain't on the website, don't expect them to do it, for any price. :(

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    well, on a list of things:

- you don't do gecko necks without geckos
    - you don't do 4+1 5 string necks
    - you don't do 5 string block inlays

I'll wait another couple of months...I have faith that you guys will figure out a way. I have faith in you. Can't let AllParts get all the glory...

What about using a glue that dries clear? Seems like an obvious choice, so I know there must be a reason why that woulnd't work or you guys would have tried it.

13. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    he, that was me, thanks again for replying Brian.

I tried to do this when they first offered the block and binding, even put in an order, but no go. I wanted to make a 5er (or have nino make a 5er) with the maple board, white block and binding/ black deluxe 5 body/black pickguard. Just like the old sadowsky tokyos.

never say never though, I'll patiently wait also...

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They do all these things now...take a look.

15. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    I think that was his point, they've said in the past they don't do certain things then end up doing them at a later time. So hopefully maple board with white binding/block will be another.

16. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

exactly my point. They didn't do these things, and even put in a "so don't ask" with some of them. Now they do them....

it is just a matter of patience

17. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I've probably got two years worth of correspondence from Nino Valenti pestering ...uh..I mean... 'asking' us to do blocks and binding on a 5 string neck. You can all thank him for wearing us down. :)

It's all about market demand. It generally takes us a lot of time and money to develop a new product or feature, and we never know if people are going to buy enough of it to make the effort worthwhile. So we tend to be pretty conservative about starting new projects.

Having said that, if there's something you'd like to see us do, drop an email to our sales office - we do listen.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Get me a matching lake placid blue headstock and maple neck for my SX :).
    I just sent you guys an email reguarding my inquiry.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've also bothered.... um.. I mean ANNOYED THE LIVING HELL OUT OF YOU ;) for about 2 years with Pearl blocks on a maple board. Come on. If a 150 Essex Bass can have it, why not the all mighty Warmoth. :D

[​IMG]

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I have at home an email from Warmoth. I had asked if they offered neck-thru bass necks. The answer was, roughly, "no, but we are working on it and will come out with it in the near future" IIRC.

The email is something like 3-6 years old.

So Brian, is it still coming soon? ;)