Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for warwick buffs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist286, May 4, 2002.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    my warwick thumb bolt on's fret board is "wearing"at the base of the board (not the side the nut is on) under the e string is a small crater. it appears to be caused by repeatdly being hit by the string. Has this happened to any one else's bass? also how can i fix it?. i use DR low-riders .105 guage if that helps. i also slap , but not agressively. thank you for you help
    ~chris

2. I don't own a Warwick bolt-on, but I've seen that happen on other basses of mine. It seemed to happen more on the ones with a long stretch of fretboard past the last fret, where there's more clearance for the string to hit.

I don't think it's anything to worry about--it's pretty much just normal playing wear. You might check your slap technique, to be sure your thumb is hitting right on top of the last few frets rather than at the end of the fretboard. If you're concerned with the appearance, a repairman could probably fill it in with wenge dust an superglue, but it's likely to wear again unless your technique has changed.

Mike