Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for Warwick Thumb players

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by buckethdd, Jan 26, 2002.

1. buckethdd

buckethdd

Jan 15, 2002
    SF, CA
    I have a '97 Thumb neckthru with the MEC preamp and MEC p/u's...I am thinking of changing the whole thing to either Basslines or Bartolinis (mainly b/c on doing a search here most Warwick owners chose them)...I am looking for a warmer, thicker sound without sacraficing the mid's...currently it is very middy but a tiny bit thin sounding...i don't want anything boomy just a little thicker and natural sounding...could anyone who owns or has played a Thumb give me ideas on which preamp and p/u's i should check into (specific part numbers would help alot, as there websites did not specifiy which p/u's would fit this particular bass). Thanks for any help

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i PERSONALLY believe that the growl is what makes a warwick a warwick, and feel that barts would probably sacrifice that a little.

my plan with my ss2 is to put a U-retro in it with stock pickups, and then possibly put in some EMG's running at 18v. make sure you spend a decent amount of time with the bass in passive mode - that's the only way to really hear the pickups instead of the preamp.

4. Look up my pal CS, he has done it.

5. I know what you mean. I don't own a Thumb, or Warwick for that reason but I've played them enough in GC to know. You could replace the PUP's or if you want to wait until you need a new rig try the Mesa Boogie MPulse 600 head. At my GC's they had that head with a Mesa Engineering(?, I know little about MB's) 4x10 and it sounded incredible. Lots of bottom and bass. Just an alternative.

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Bartolinis - I just replaced mine with Bartolini hum-cancelling PUPs and a Bartolini TBT preamp. It got the exact results you mentioned - warmer, more natural with smoother highs.

My main concern with making the change was "would I lose the growl"?. Tha answer is absolutely not. In fact, it growls MORE now than before. That pre-amp has an adjustable gain - crank it a bit and snarl-city...

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Speak of the devil

Buckethead

I fitted the Alembic PVF system in mine. There are some issues here, general and specific.

General-the Alembic system is designed for a Jazz bass so Jazz bass pups made by the usual suspects should fit your Thumb.

Specific-I have a fretless and was looking for pickups that would suit that application. I did have a webpage with a review and sound files but it's gone. Both Gruff and Jason 5s did not like the sound of my system for fretted (and probably my playing:)) because the low pass filter gives some wierd tonal possibilities. I have since cranked the trim pot and this bass is extremely loud and in your face. The single tone knob goes from too bright to too dull so it takes some time to get used to it.

Good Luck I have been there and survived.

8. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i like my MEC 18-volters.