Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for web guys

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I am putting together plans for a virtual bass store. I have absolutely no knowledge of how to get a website started or even where to begin. Could someone give me a ball park figure on setting one up/maintaining? Here are some items I am looking at:

Pictures (zoomable)
    No films or moving words/pictures(yet)
    Sound clips
    Secure payment

I have not approached anyone locally, any advice you have is greatly appreciated!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    It depends. Will you be taking the photos? Will the photos all be the same size and dimensions?

Instead of zooming, you could use thumbnails and "click for larger version" and save hundreds or even thousands.

It might be a better idea to start your site using Paypal so you can avoid the startup expenses of secure payments (and the liability incurred).

For hosting, with sound samples, expect to pay $40/month and up, depending on traffic. In theory, the more traffic, the more the hosting will cost, but the more business you'll have. In theory.

My day gig is web design, and I'd be glad to offer you a proposal if I had more details. Email/PM me if you're interested.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would be taking photos myself (to better represent the product,) and "thumbnails" are what I actually meant. Thanks for the offer, let me put together something and I will send it to you.

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    secure web is the main thing on the list. You need to get a whole load of special certificates. When you order something it should say https:// instead of http://

It should also have a padlock in the bottom right area.
    Paypal would be better though.
    I would use flash for the zoomable images. You would need to buy flash mx though!
    Thumbnails is probably the better idea

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One of the most important things about any website, particularly an online store, is how up to date it is. If you invest a few hundred dollars its great advertising until the note at the bottom says "last update several months ago", all the special offers are gone and surfers choose not to risk spending their money with you.

Either look for a contract which includes site design and maintenance or consider learning enough of the technical side to at least keep the site updated, even if you buy in the initial design expertise. There are plenty of tutorials on website design out there - a bit of surfing (or a trip to the local library) and two or three hours just trying things out is probably a better idea than waiting for experience to beat you with the big ole clue-bat ;)

Wulf

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would like to be able to update it myself. The main thing I want is ease of use, and fast loading. One thing that turns me off is an over produced website that takes forever to load and then it is hard to find what I want.

7. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I own and operate my own online ecommerce site. A year and a half ago, I was in the same boat. Do lots of research and ask lots of question. The toughest thing will be the online shopping. I know PayPal is popular, but I have a merchant account (which allows me to take normal credit card payments) and I offer PayPal payments as well. Barely 10% of my sales are PayPal.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Feel free to ask any questions.

Tom

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Are there charges (like Paypal) associated with taking credit card payments?

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Oh sure. But it varies greatly. I have a traditional merchant account that cost me $600 to set up (my bank hooked me up). Now I pay about 2.5% per transaction plus "gateway" fees etc. There are other options to your own account. I used something called 2Checkout before I got my merchant account - their fees were high (about 5% plus monthly charges) but you didn't have to go through the expense and trouble of getting your own merchant account. Again, there're a ton of options that you can look into.

Tom

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I set up a website for my business myself (pics, design, the whole shebang), and I pay $10 a month for 200mb storage, domain name, and unlimited bandwith, with a one-time start-up fee of $30. I don't offer PayPal purchasing from my site, but I can add it at anytime, and as tappel said it averages out to about 3% per purchase. It may not be the most professional site out there, but it works for me. If you want to check it out, it's http://www.bryanrtyler.com

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Bryan, your site is very close to what I have in mind.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well then, I use Aplus.net. I use the Solo XL account type (I believe that's what it's called), which is as I said $9.95 a month, one-time fee of $30, and lots of amenities like unlimited bandwith, domain name, and email addresses. I also used the Web Shell web designer that comes with it. I'm no computer whiz, so it took me a little while before I had the whole thing understood, but it saved me a lot of dough by doing it myself. It's also quite a reliable service.