Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for wood necked Status (Energy, Emphaty) owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Feb 9, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I was wondering: exactly how much of their "wood necks" is wood and how much is graphite? Does anyone know? I own a Status Energy I bought used which I absolutely love, except I don't know that much about it (by now I've figured out what its knobs do and that the body wood is Utile mahogany.) I'd really like to know how much graphite is hidden in the neck and how much difference it makes as far as stability is concerned. I don't really feel like taking the neck off and taking a peek at the bottom, as I'm really pretty bad at this kind of thing and don't feel like screwing something up.

Can someone give me a bit more info on the Status Energy? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hi,

I have two status energy's, one older type with j-style pickups tuned EADG, and one newer type with soap-bar pickups tuned BEAD. I'll attach a picture of the old one so you can see whether it resembles yours.

The newer type has a three-piece neck, and I think the graphite should be in the middle part of that. It is also a wider neck.
    The old one doesn't show any parts, maybe because the finish is quite thick and I can't see it. The neck has been taken off once in the old one, and you could't see anything, so there's no use to remove it for that purpose.

The necks seem stable, I rarely need to retune during a gig, and usually when I tune it is only very minor tweaks. I can't say whether they sound different than graphite necks, I find however that they are not too sterile sounding. Here is an example of a track I recorded with the old status last year, it is not too buried but it doesn't jump out inappropriately:
    www.dubius.nl/minnen.mp3

Excuse me for the long reply, I had a break here at work.

Attached Files: