1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Yamaha TRB series owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grant22, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    What do they weigh?
    What is the price range?

Grant

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I own an older Japanese TRB6P (piezo) that isn't light by any stretch of the imagination. I'd have to say probably 12 or 13 lbs. I love the bass though. Mine retailed new for $3099, but you can pick them up for under a grand on eBay.

If you're looking for a lighter weight one, you might check out the newer TRB5/6 II. They're made of ash instead of maple like mine and are supposed to be lighter.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mine is a TRB5P-II. It weighs almost as much as a Peavey T-40. Maybe 11 pounds? It's not an old man's bass.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    That heavy? I really thought the IIs would be lighter than my older one.

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Nope. My TRB5II is about 10.5 pounds as well. It's a heavy guy. Nice though.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    What about the 1005's?

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a 1005 and am very happy with it. I'm using DR SS Lo-Riders and am very happy with the tone(s) I'm getting. The maple top, on alder, gives it a naturally bright tone with a lot of sustain.

I also really like the satin finish neck. On the downside, it was a little noisy around electronics (computer monitor) but shielding took care of it.

It weighs about 9lbs.

In my experience, Yamaha builds a good bass guitar.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that mine may be the best-sounding bass I own. See my profile for what it's up against. Every time I play it, I try to imagine what could sound better, and come up without an answer.

9. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    my TRB-5 seems pretty light, I'd say about 9 - 9.5 lbs. ..paid around $1100 for her in 1996. ...really a nice instrument!

10. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Just played a new TRB5 the other day. Absolutely LOVED it! Weight wasn't bad...if it was heavy, I didn't notice! Price was $799.99. Good deal; I know where my next paycheck is going! :bassist: