Question for ye bongo owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Well After my incrrrrrredibly long drawn out search of basses I recently played a Bongo Bass and Enjoyed it toroughly enough to rank it as my favorite. The one I played in GC the neck was smooth and fast (i.e. you would never know its painted)

So I was wondering if over time the neck, being painted and all, becomes sticky after playing because of sweat and rubbing the finish off? Has this ever happened to any of you?(is this a problem with bongos) Also, if so can you just wax the back of the neck and that's that or must you sand it down. I'm not too fond of this because wouldnt it just keep getting skinnier every time your finish gets worn so All of you Bongo owners your input is greatly appreciated Thank you all for all your help :cool: :bassist:
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    My main bass, a Bongo that I've had since November of 2003, just keeps getting better.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think the connections of "painted neck = glossy neck" and "poly neck = sticky neck" is one that should be broken in many of our minds. For example, I own 3 Ibanez - one is a natural finish with a thick poly glossy finish (of which I've sanded down), one has a painted neck with a thick poly glossy finish, and one has a natural finish with an extremely light non-glossy finish with a feel very much like a StingRay's oil and wax finish. I also have a Fender Jazz with a light poly finish that's extremely smooth and doesn't become at all sticky with sweat.

As for my main players, both are "painted" but lack any type of thick poly finish which don't bind in any way, and are extremely close to the Bongos I've played. I suppose my point is that a painted neck and a poly finish are simply two different methods of construction that are sometimes, and not always combined.
  4. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    no, it doesn't. I've had mine for about 6 months and it does really seem to get better. To be honest. I do feel a big of texture change high on the neck because it is where I play mostly, bu tI think that's fromt the oils of my hands. It isn't "stickier," it just feels smoother. It might just be my imagination, but that's what i feel. "that's all I have to say about that." sorry. forest Gump was on last night.
  5. Thank you all for your comments I appreciate it
  6. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm sure you noticed this when you picked it up, but the neck is matte while the body is glossy.

I don't own a Bongo yet (it's on order) but I did get to play one for a few hours, in very hot/humid conditions. Never got sticky.

I wouldn't wax the neck if I were you. But then, I'm not you.