Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for you Claypool fans.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMan2000, May 27, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Does any one know what brand of strings les claypool uses? Does he use DR ? or something else?

2. Taken from a Bassplayer article:

On his 4-string electrics, Les uses Dean Markley nickel roundwounds--but here's the secret: his set consists of two A strings (.080) and two G strings (.040). "I've always loved the sound Tony Levin gets on the [Chapman] Stick with light-gauge strings. I wanted to get that same punch, so I started to use a lighter E string, and then I switched to two G's to make my chords sound better." He strings his Carl Thompson 6-string with a standard light-gauge set.

http://www.bassplayer.com/artists/les93.shtml

that article is a good read

Note: do not be confused into thinking that Les tunes his 4 string basses AAGG.. he still tunes EADG.. it's just that the string he tunes to E was meant to be an A string, and the string he tunes to D was meant to be a G

it's a pretty common misconception to think that les uses some weird tuning.. but he only uses weird strings

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm pretty sure he uses Carl Thompson strings now, and I think he strings in normal guages now.

4. Angus will think he needs to ream me, but I tried the A A G G strings in normal tuning, and they really don't do it for me. I can't stand a floppy string. You just might wannt keep in mind that the E and D strings will be really floppy if you use A A G G strings.

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    quite interesting.....

6. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I've tried 40,50,80,90 and it worked pretty well

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Paste: Good boy. Now, never again. :D

IMO, anything less than 100 for an E sounds too thin.