1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for you fellow pedal nerds put there...DOD FX25....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mr80htz, Jun 25, 2018.

1. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    So...I have a DOD FX25B Env. Filter for forever and stopped using it but I've always loves it's tone. It has that damn volume drop so it isn't useful. I've been using the MXR M82 for a long while but it just spikes too hard. I'm currently on the Mr. Black Fwonk Beta and it has that same type of round envelope sound that I'm looking for.
    Here's the question after all that.

Does the DOD FX25 have the same volume drop as the 25B? Is it basically the same minus 1 knob for...I can't remember... The Q maybe?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    There are a few variations on the FX25 that sound a bit different. I have two - one gives incredible dub lows and is super loud (older one with a broken bypass) and I have another that seems voiced a little higher but still works for dubbier stuff (my keyboardist is using it now). The second one can seem a little quiet depending on the setting but has a pretty severe peak when pushed; definitely activates the subs when placed after an octaver. Again, versions differ, the units are old and may have spec drift and/or components or build qc may have been poor, so ymmv.

Iirc the FX25B added a blend but may have also changed the circuit in other ways, dunno. FX25s tend to be super funky and I remember the FX25B being a little synthier flavored.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, the volume drop is a known and common thing, however it is NOT associated with any one version of the pedal as far as I can tell. All of the versions were made pretty cheaply, and I agree with Mr. Bird that it's probably a component aging or failing, rather than anything you can avoid by just choosing an exterior mark.