1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

question for you fender gurus : price check on 77 jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 4, 2008.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heya folks.

first up, this instrument is not for sale, but i'd like to get a value for it for insurance purposes. i know how much my other basses are worth, but i have no idea on this one

it's a black on black 3 bolt 77 fender jazz, abalone blocks, white bound maple board/neck. pretty road-worn (was my main gigging bass through most of college), but not obscenely so. pics to follow.

so how much do you think?

2. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I have a '78 that's in similar condition.

After some searching I found several, mostly in good condition, going anywhere from $1800-2500.

However I tried to move mine here on TB for $1400, the finish is pretty rough and it's been modded, and got almost no interest. I think most people are looking for all original instruments in great condition so they can hold onto them as an investment.

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cropped%20headstock.

full%20body.

full%20body%20back.

neck%20and%20fretboard.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    forgot to mention, i still have the ashtray bridgecover.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for the input :). i wonder if i should insure it for more than "what it would sell for".

6. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Forgot to mention, mine is 12 lbs.

What's yours weigh?

The necks on these are killer.

7. I generally insure stuff for a little more than it's worth. This way, the when the value increases slightly over the years, it should eventually be worth that and you don't need to adjust later. Really, adding a few hundred bucks to a given bass doesn't add a whole lot to the policy.

8. sflajimmy

sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    Good luck. While this maybe market value it's hard to get that for mid-late 70's Jazz Basses in this economy. They've shot up in value over the last few years in a crazy vintage market, but it's still hard to move them at that price.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    again, i'm more interested in insurance purposes vs. actually selling. i may not play 4's anymore, but these basses aren't going anywhere, if i can help it heh :D.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Now there's one thing I didn't ever expect to happen at TB - John Turner starting a thread about a 4-string Jazz Bass. :D

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd go for insurance on the high side. If it gets, stolen/destroyed, and you really wanted to replace it quick and with a decent example...I think you're looking at 2000-3000. While the economy is in a slump for the moment, 'asking' prices haven't changed.

If it were mine, I'd get a high-ball estimate of 3K and insure for that. That way, if you do need to replace you can get one in nice shape, original case, etc.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i do have its original case, and it's in great shape.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gotta shake up the status quo.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

JT = METAL ! :bassist:

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Hi John,

Funnily enough, I just sold my 1976 Jazz Bass, two days ago, here in Germany.

It was all original (apart from those covers) and in pretty fine condition, as you can see ...

IMG_1310.

I'll PM the price to you, in case the new owner is a TBer (forgot to ask him :meh:).

16. insure for $2500 (you have to factor in that it's gonna increase in value)

sell for $2000

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i couldn't imagine -ever- selling this bass. probably played 500 gigs on this pup in college. most of em for money too lol.

18. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I bought my 72' for $1800 a year ago it is sunburst, all original, with case. Also the heel of the neck is stamped with a red S for "Special" according to a vintage Fender dealer here in town, it has clay dots instead of the normal blocks that were common in the early 70's.

19. I'd say 2800 for the pretty nice condition

20. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.