Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for you guys....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 1, 2004.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so i bought a MIA p-bass last weekend. i didnt realize until after i put 45-100 strings on it, that it had 110's on it. when i put them new strings on, i got what sounded like strings rattling in the saddle.

i put a peice of business card around the nut where the string rests in, and its fine.

now if i want to go from 110 to 100, and i going to need a new nut on top of a set up?

2. I think you'll only need to adjust the thrusrod in the neck. Because the tension of these new strings is not so high as the original heavy strings. You'll propably have to loosen the thrusrod a bit.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah when i got the neck, it had a bow to it. so i straightened it out a bit, and rased the saddles up to compensate(whomever set it up sucked).

im just wondering besides a pro set up, because of the noise, if i should get a new nut put in it.

4. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    The luthier should be able to tell you everything you need to know

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, but a.) i cant bring it in yet(because everyone and their mom is getting married this week and im broke till mid sept).
    b.) i dont want to annoy him.
    c.) thats why i post here.

to me, it sounds like the nut is too wide for the string, i just didnt think it would make that much difference.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    OK, so loosen the thruss rod a little bit, tune the bass and step on both the first and last fret on any string. The string has to be about one or one and a half milimeter apart off the 12th fret (this distance can vary acording to your taste). The neck has to have a slight bow for this separation to exist, and this is absolutely right (an absolutely plain neck makes strings buzz). If it's still too close, loosen the thruss rod a little more, tune again and re-check, and so on... Once the neck bow and heigth are right (I also recomend you adjust the saddles' height to your taste), you'll have to adjust intonation (maybe this can wait until it goes with the luthier). If you still want to do this I'll try to explain it (despite my horrible english). Good luck and take care...

ANDRUCA

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Annoy the luthier???? You're kidding right? What you're asking about the nut and string guage rattle isn't stupid at all. Besides he should be honest and let you know if you need a new nut to eliminate the rattle. Dude don't ever be afraid of annoying the luthier, that's what he's there for, that's what he makes a living doing, answering questions.

8. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    It's truss I think :smug:

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sorry for that! And thanks for contributing improve my poor english!

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, because for two weeks i annoyed the **** out of him about my music man. i just picked it up yesterday so i dont want to be a pay in the ass to him again yet.

as for the set up, the set up is good, i like how it is. i just had some string rattle from the string guage being way different.

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :eek: :eek: What kind of luthier is he?? :scowl: :eek: JK bro, good luck. I say annoy him with questions all day long. I've met some luthiers that act like rock stars.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    he is a bit wierd, one of those dudes trapped int he 80's, but, he makes 4000 les paul knock offs that play better then les pauls.

he made guitars for sting, bruce springsteen, and a few other artists i didnt recognize.

when my band was on tour, our last show was in wv. we were going nuts while we played(being in a hc band, stage presence is an important thing) plus we were filming for our dvd and i decided to do a roundhouse, and kicked the head stock of my guitar players 88 black les paul custom. it split the neck from fret 1-5(along the fingerboardZ) and this guy fixed it to look brand new. so. i dont know, he is good.