Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for you soundmen (Re: D.I.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 4, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I may have been going at this D.I. thing all wrong:
    I have a Walter Woods amp , but the D.I. only has a 1/4" jack, not an XLR. I was thinking that I would ned to buy a seperate D.I. box, but wouldn't I just be able to get a "1/4" to XLR" adapter and use the D.I. from the amplifier??

Thanks for any help
    reb46@rcn.com

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I believe it's still good to use a DI, if only to convert the signal to a low impedance one that will travel better (i.e., with less degradation) over long cables.

Having said that, on a number of occasions I've taken a 1/4" line out to a nearby snake or board.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A passive DI box is pretty cheap. The nice thing is that it offers a ground lift if you are getting noise from faulty house wiring. A converter doesn't. If also offers a parrallel 1/4" send. This is a nice feature in certain applications.

I have also ran straight from a 1/4" lineout to a snake using a good guitar cable. It worked fine. IF your snake can handle it. I suggest taking that approach first.

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Walter Woods recommends the passive Whirlwind IMP-2 if a direct box is needed. I have ordered one, but didn't know if by using it between the amps 1/4" DI and the board, if I'd just be adding extra 'stuff' in to the signal...

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK, no. What you probably don't want to do is run a long 1/4 cable to the board, though it will work.