1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for You Spector Mavens Out There...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christcr, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I have two Spector 4-strings (both Euro made). One that I really like and another that I absolutely love. The one I love has the tone pump preamp. It's about the best sounding (to me) preamp I've ever had in a bass. The other one has an EMG pre (and active pickups). It sounds good, but not nearly as good to me.

So.... here's the question: I want to get a 5-string. I've narrowed it down to 2 basses that have the tone pump and one that has an Aguilar pre.

1) Euro 5 LX neck-through (pricey, but has the tone pump and is obviously going to be a class act bass)

2) Euro Bolt 5 (cheaper, has the Aguilar electronics... since I've never played one, it's a mystery. Don't know if I will like the sound, but I can count on it being a quality instrument)

3) Legend Classic 5 bolt-on (Cheapie of the bunch, although still pricey for an Asian import. Never played one, but it does have the tone pump JR, which I assume will be similar to the regular tone pump. I just don't know what to expect quality-wise)

Thoughts from those who have played these various basses? I'm leaning toward the LX just because I know what to expect, but they are typically boat anchor heavy. The Euro Bolt is almost 2 pounds lighter--my back likes that... but the sound? And the Legend is waaaayyy cheaper, so is the sound close enough to justify saving 2K?

Thoughts???????

(note: please don't tell me just to get a Fender... I HAVE one! :D And don't tell me to get an XXXXXX bass... we're talking Spector only here. :thumbsup:

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Get the LX, it sounds like you want consistency, not suprises.

garp likes this.
  3. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    As I've been sifting though all the dealer websites and Youtube video reviews tonight, I've been thinking the same thing. I found a burl poplar top LX that really gave me the warm fuzzies. That might just be the one.

I've been playing my Euro (it's the "reissue model" for this year) with the volume cranked up a bit tonight. What a KILLER sounding bass--anything from thumpy warm P to raunchy rock to sizzly slap funk Marcus-Miller-like-tones. I've only had it a few weeks and the love is already there--which is saying a lot for me because I tend to change basses like Cyndi Lauper changes hairstyles. :wideyed:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    mikeswals likes this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The Legend Classic is a terrific bass on its own, but having already ventured into Euro land, I think you'd be underwhelmed by it. And that advice is coming from someone who lived a few miles from Cyndi (she sold her house here last year).