1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Zon owners--midrange eq distortion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by climb, Sep 25, 2008.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Have a Zon fretless Sonus Special 5 with the 3 band flip selector for midrange with mid-EQ.

Has anybody noticed distortion when the mid-EQ is turned up? I usually set it at the highest option (flip towards the lower strings), but it might just be too hot for my amp.

Thanks for any information!

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    3 band flip selector? As in a microswitch on the PCB of the preamp?

And no, none of my Zon's have ever done anything whacky like this... but I when a battery gets low, it will cause distortion...

3. I have a Sonus 5 with the 3-band pre with 3-position mid selector, and no, I have never had "howling distortion". There is a lot of boost available, and if you are playing through a device where you have the mids boosted a lot, you could get more gain than you expect, but still, it shouldn't be like what you describe.

4. I have a 2005 Sonus Special with the mid EQ and flip-switch. No problems here, useable mids all the way.

Could it be that the mid-boost is overdriving your amp's input? Have you tried other amps?

5. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for all the advice. I now realize that I can do this with several basses if I go for extreme mid-boost. And upon listening to the bass, it really does not need more mids--it's loaded even flat!

6. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Your rig could be made of cast concrete and you could still overdrive the input if the output of the bass is hot enough. ;)

If your Zon has an output gain trimpot on the preamp, and you absolutely have to use the pre with the mids all the way up, you could turn that down to reduce the output. Or, you could engage the input pad on your amp if it has one.

7. There is a lot of cut/boost available with the EQ, so you are probably just overdriving the input of your amp. That is a lot of mid boost in any case. Have you tried cutting bass/treble instead of boosting mids? Either way, start by turning down the master volume and see if the problem goes away.

8. Between this and checking the battery, I think the answer is somewhere in here.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Diming ANY tone control on an active bass is too much. I've owned several Zons, and they are just like any other active bass. A LITTLE boost goes a long way.

10. Great advice above - everyone stole my thunder. :D Particularly on a fretless instrument, the mid boost is VERY sensitive...certainly a function of what should be a very mid-happy instrument to begin with. I've got a special/custom - meaning Legacy Elite electronics with the neck pickup placed in the sweet spot...

2769356869_a83e64bbae.

...and I generally leave everything flat. (Well, I do that with all of my basses, so maybe that's not the best point.) Anyway, if I boost the mids at all, it's generally in the lower-mid register. This thing is so upper-mid happy that I've always got the inspiration of Jaco floating around my ears. :) I can't even fathom the idea of cranking the knob much further than "6".

So...battery and amp eq settings would be my first efforts at troubleshooting, but I'd also add strings into the mix, based on your desire to really crank the mid-boost. Are the strings old, or perhaps the wrong choice sonically for the tone you're after?

Good luck...

11. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I haven't noticed distortion with the mid control but the treble pot definitely comes with some noise and I have had others have confirm the same issue.

12. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    zb3.

Should look something like that.

13. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Can you post a pic?

You do have the Sonus Special, right?