Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question from a frustrated man

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jul 13, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sorry if this was asked before, or in the wrong forum but I would like some advice from some Stingray 4 users on how they set their amp to make their Stringrays nice and bassy but not to the point that you cant hear what you play on the G string. Lately I've been more partial to playing my jazz bass but I really want to bring my Stingray out to gigs. If it helps my rig is a Hartke HA4000 Head and a GK backline 410 cab. I play mostly with a pick and I always find my settings to be too twangy, or bassy the way I want on the E and A strings and then the D and G are almost unheard. The bass is set up properly and has new strings so Im sure that isnt the problem, I just thing it must be how I have my amp set up. I appreciate the help.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Opinions will vary, but I think this is a string issue and not an amp issue. If you can get your amp to give you the guts you like on the E and A, you likely need a larger guage string on the D and G to stay there.

Also, be sure to try raising the G side of your pickup and/or lowering the E side. These are the things I'd try first before looking to the amp and EQ, unless your EQ settings are really unbalanced with the lows pushed much higher than the mids.

3. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I have always found Hartke amps to be bright. Of course that is probably more due to the Hartke cabinets. Go flat with your amp eq and with your bass eq and work it up from there.

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    +1. FWIW, I like lows to be full but not boomy, and I absolutely hate when the bass disappears in the upper registers. Keep the amp eq flat and try to get the best tone your can from the bass. If you need a little more shaping, go with little adjustments on the amp. Try boosting low mids (~150 to 250 Hz). Cut the high mids (~1k Hz) if things are nasally, pull back the low lows (below ~80 Hz) if it's too muddy.