1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stardor, May 27, 2012.

1. stardor

stardor

May 27, 2012
    I've mainly played guitar all my life but I switched to bass a few months ago due to a shortage of bass players, plus it's an instrument I've always loved the sound of.
    Anyway, I auditioned for an ACDC tribute the other night and the drummer wanted me to setup in such a way that I could see his bass pedal. Now, I know inside and out the songs I'm playing and I know I gotta keep in sync with the drummer. Can't I do this without actually having a visual on his foot? Is he just being picky?

2. Personally I think the visual connection between the drummer and bassist is important. Setting up like that might be picky, but it might work for him. After a while you learn to read your drummers body movement and I can be an awesome feeling to turn and face the drummer whilst playing. Quite often is bass solos the bass player and drummer will watch each other and really stick the groove in. You can't get that sort of connection without visual contact. It would be like playing along to a music in headphones.

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'd say he's being helpful, not picky, but that's just me. You can do it without seeing his bass pedal but it's a nice touch if you can both set up in such a way as to help with the synchronization.
    Personally, I'm on my drummer like a fat kid on a box of Smarties. If he suddenly got up to go to the washroom in the middle of a set I'd probably follow him right in there.

4. stardor

stardor

May 27, 2012
    Hmm. Ok that makes a lot of sense. That's what I had figured. But that's fine, i'm just afraid he's going to be the type to bust my balls in the future lol.

5. stardor

stardor

May 27, 2012
    LOL

6. I see a lot of sense in the above comments ..the only fly in the ointment is that I'm sure you know how you like things and this guy might just be trying to make you his bitch.:D
    Like it or not, bassists have to follow drummers lead as a rule,that does not make drummers god. Rythm section is a team sport.

Have I met some opinionated drummers? yes I have!

Do you need to see his foot? it depends on your ear.;)

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I always set up on the hi-hat side. Easier to hear the consistent parts of the kit (hi hat, snare), and see the kick pedal.

8. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You are a brand new bass player, presumably your drummer has worked with a brand new bass player before.

9. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    If this is the case.... "bust my balls", let them know you're looking for something else and move on. Never fun being the object of someone else's control. Think about what is real here and what is perceived by you and trust your gut on this one. There are a lot of other bands out there, and as you said, there is a shortage of quality bassists.

Having said all of this, I agree the visual contact is important. I've never had a drummer tell me to watch his bass foot, however. But the interaction and visual contact with the drummer is extremely important for me.

Good luck.

Koog

10. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Me and my drummer click and I only look at him to signal changes and endings...No way I would stand there and stair at his pedal....sounds TO ME like you could have a PITA soon! You should be able to lock in with your guys ears 90% of the time. Imagine going to shows and the bass player is staring at the drummers foot the whole show...:rollno:

11. stardor

stardor

May 27, 2012
    Very helpful comments guys thank you.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you really need to lock in that tight or are having that much trouble hearing, forget about looking and step on the support peg of the kick drum. You'll feel it through the bottom of your foot.

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Sounds like he needs to get clear drum heads, so you can see it from everywhere. If he's not willing to do that…sayonara?

14. Never thought of that... good tip! A good way to get tied into the kick.

15. stardor

stardor

May 27, 2012
    Excuse my ignorance but wth's a PITA?

16. It's a pain in the ass..:D...........they keep on breeding....

17. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I've never found it necessary to look at the drummer very much. If I'm going to be looking at something during a gig, I'd prefer looking into the audience. In general, I don't much look at other band members. So, staring at a drum pedal an entire gig would be totally out of the question for me.

18. adi77

adi77 Inactive

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    ... it might help further tighten the music..if not... work it out

19. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you are completely deaf, looking at his pedal might be a good idea.

20. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Maybe he noticed your timing was off and was helping you out.