1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question GK 700rb Mark II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FED UP, Nov 1, 2010.

1. FED UP

FED UP

Nov 1, 2010
    I have the GK 700rb mark II (which I am quite happy with) and 1 GLX series 4x10 (weighs a ton) and 1 NEO series 4x10 .
    My question is, the NEO (8 ohms) utilizes the SPEAKON cable, whereas the GLX (8 ohms) series only has a 1/4" cable jack . Is it safe to use both cabinets simultaneously - using 1 SPEAKON cable and 1 1/4" cable at the same time ? I can't afford to burn up this head because of a dumb mistake on my part .
    Anyone know ?
    Thanks !

2. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    As long as both cabs are 8ohm you'll be fine.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Have you studied the amp's manual?

4. FED UP

FED UP

Nov 1, 2010
    Yes, and saw no reference pertaining to my question. The manual is disappointingly thin .

5. FED UP

FED UP

Nov 1, 2010
    Thanks guys ! Now I won't worry too much when I fullstack it .

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You can use them both. Turn off the GLX horn, and set the Neo in biamped mode and run the Neo's horn with the tweeter amp if you want to utilize the HMS feature. Use a 4 conductor speakon cable. if not, set it to normal and use a 2 or 4 conductor. I would probably still only use one horn.

7. FED UP

FED UP

Nov 1, 2010
    The GLX has no horn, its the one with the gold colored aluminum speaker cones. That thing has to weigh 80-90 pounds. The NEO handles more juice, is MUCH lighter in weight and has a horn tweeter . So far I have only used one cab or the other, i haven't tried both at the same time, wasn't sure if it was ok to do that, plus so far I haven't needed that much bump. Either cab by itself pumps MORE than enough volume in my situations so far - ive only owned this setup for a few months, and am still in search for a band, but ive used it a few times in auditions.
    I need to read the manual again on the head and study the biamp section. Not sure how that works, I had a late 60's Fender bassman 50 (silverface) that I sold last winter because, although the tone was beyond superb, it just didn't have the balls I wanted .

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would probaby keep doing what you are doing, one cab, or the other...but give it a try. I've never heard the GLX. I like the Neo cab.
    Wes