Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question - How do you decide whether to delet or just lock?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Sep 7, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Question for mods:

What determines whether a thread gets deleted rather than locked and vice-versa? Just curious.

:bag:

brad cook

2. Wouldn't you imagine it would be something that would be either in EXCESSIVELY poor taste, advocating the use of violence (like hate crime kind of stuff), or something that could land the board or Paul in legal trouble. I'd imagine that would be stuff that "disappears." Stuff like squabbles or poor taste (of the non-excessive variety) would get closed.

I imagine.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've seen stuff deleted that was no more in poor taste than other things that were locked only a day before. That's why I'm wondering what the qualifiers are.

brad cook

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Is this a question for the moderators being ask in public :eyebrow: Are you publicly questioning the moderators? :eek: OOOooooohhhhhh..... I'm tellin'!

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, no, no...it's not like that, you troublemaker!! I mean it is a question but I'm not questioning anyone's past actions, just generally asking what leads to certain decisions and whatnot.

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    C'mon though...about 80 to 90% of the threads in OT lack "value".

EDIT: Then again I guess you're probably talking about the band management forum, where there are far fewer worthless threads.

brad cook

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I know, I know - I forgot to include this smilie: ;) at the end.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Exactly. After a while you get a feel for the forum you look after and the people who hang there. Some forums need more modding than others and some people need more babysitting then others. Therefore we have to exercise our discretion. If I get a situation is a bit 50/50, I ask other mods and/or Paul for their input before acting.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The "hershey squirts" thread would fall in the 10% of quality threads, though. What else is there to do after a good squirt session but post a thread on TB about it?

:D

10. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    As a moderator on a car enthusiast board, it's always a subjective evaluation, but it is also usually obvious. For example if a person starts a question about a particular make of car and after 20 posts it evolves into a shouting name calling insult match with each person claiming the other brand sucks, I close it but leave it in existence for future searches if the early posts have any redeeming value. On the other hand if either a member or a troll comes in and starts a thread like "Seems like all Ford owners are %#$&!s.." I simply delete it and it if continues, seek to ban their IP address. Another mod might have a different reaction however, especially if he is a Chevy man. :D For some that are iffy, we convene in a mods only forum and ask for a second opinion. Yes, it can become an energy drain to be a mod. With the large population here, the mods have my respect and sympathy!

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You've gone crazy, you aren't even a mod.

12. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    No, actually I've gone crazy from being a mod for 5 years. It just happens to be on a different board. Just giving some insight as to how subjective it is. That is true of any mod on any board. We're all just people without perfect wisdom who try to please most of the people most of the time, but can never manage to please all of the people all of the time. It's a very inexact science as you can see. I've caused you irritation just by giving my opinion in a thread where few of the other respondents have been mods here either. Opinions are free therefore they come with no implied or express warranties for accuracy. ;)

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    LoJoe,

Quit pretending to be a mod, man. We all know you aren't.

brad cook

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if there's anything redeeming about the thread but it just went to heck in a bucket then it will probably get locked. if it's just one or two culprits then they'll probably just get edited and the thread left open.

if it's a lot of folks swinging and gets ugly then it's probably going to get deleted, or if the topic is stupid to the point of offensive or embarrassing, then it gets the axe as well.

i have to admit a lot of the decision depends on the thread and how i feel about it, as well as the intentions or perceived intentions of the poster. if it's a long term guy of proven merit posting something a bit off for a kick, i may leave it alone, and if its a total n00b who hasn't caught the drift of the forum yet, i might only attempt to nudge it in the right direction. if it's someone who has a bit of a history of being a rectal itch, and the thread is living up to that reputation, then it's probably going to get judged harshly and cast down into the fire.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, and needless to say, if it violates the usage agreement, it's either deleted or edited, depending on the scope.

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You've given me quite a rash.