Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question If this happes with all amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbass1214, Mar 20, 2003.

1. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    California
    Hey. I was just wondering if when you turn your amp on everytime you hear a loud 'boom' is that what every amp does? Its not like a little boom, its pretty loud. I have a Hartke 120-watt amp. Thanks for the help.:bassist:

2. No, and it's VERY bad. What you are hearing is your output transistors going momentarily into runaway because their bias voltage is not sufficient to keep them in check. Eventually, the DC voltage that powers the output transistors will arc past them and send DC to your speakers and fry them.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    eek! you scaring me

4. cheap amps tend to have that, but it isn't good for the amp or the speaker, good amps usually have a soft start mode or something similar to prevent this

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think one can't tell if the 'boom' of your amp is unusually loud unless he hears it.
    My Hartke 2000 made a rather loud noise when turning it on, even with the master volume down. But I never had a problem.

My current H&K just says 'click' when I turn it on though...

Matthias

6. Most pre-amps tend to make a thump when you switch the power on to the amp. In my case i have a rack system with the pre-amp separate so i can power it on first then everything else.

Some do have a "soft start-up" its basically a relay switch that turns the rest of the amp on about 3 to 5 seconds after you flick the switch.

:D:D

Merls

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tend to make a habit of making sure the volume controls are all the way down on any amp I switch on - I don't know whether that affects all the electrical stuff going on but it does avoid sending an amplified pop through the speakers.

Wulf