Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question involving bridges and strings....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, May 4, 2004.

1. I'm not sure where exactly to put this but I'll try it here.

Alright. I just broke another G string. The second in two weeks on my new Stingray. I used to do this all the time on my old Mexi Jazz bass but when I got a new bridge (Badass II) the problem stopped. I'm really placing the blame on myself here as I tend to slap shall we say rather physically even though I know you don't need to its kind of an emotional thing. Anyway, what can I do to minimize or try to stop the breaking of strings like this all together? Do I need to get a heavier guage? Currently I'm using medium strings and am very pleased with them. Is it this type of bridge that is maybe causing the problem or do I just need to calm down?

Thanks

2. I think you've got all the analysis needed right in your post. If you think that pulling back a little on the intensity will help, just give it a try.

3. Check the saddles on your bridge for sharp edges and rough spots.