Question involving gasoline and police officers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Okay, just why the hell is it that you never see a police car filling up at the gas station? They drive around all the time and have those turbofried engines so you'd think they would burn through gas like me through money at a weekend of Vegas and stress-relief technicians with tassles glued to body parts. So do they have secret gas pumps back at the station or what? Or am I crazy and they go to gas stations and I've just never seen them?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    They have pumps at the station, and they have gas cards... They probably gas up in the early mornings and at night so they arent called mid-pumping.
  3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Maybe a lil bit of this.

Being that I used to be one I guess I can speak on the topic. As far as the departments in my area...there are commercial fuel stations at both ends of our city...these are for anyone actually who wants to open an account with them. You'll find cops there all the time. However in the smaller cities and towns you'll find them at the local gas station. Think of it this way...yeah you pass a certain gas station or two once twice maybe three times a day...that leaves a lot of time in the day for them to fuel up.
  4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have always wondered....

Here they have these signs here saying "if you drive off without paying, it could be the last time you ever drive"

Is this really true? Why would stealing gas be considered anymore of a crime then stealing something else of equal value?
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Stealin's, stealin...'round here. You just have your Varying degrees...

It's just that when the gas prices hit big...there was a surge of what we cal "drive offs" in our area. People just didn't want to, or couldn't afford the gas. The lil signs are to act as a deterent.
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I bet they could afford the gas if they didn't drive pointless yatch sized SUV's and Pickup trucks :p .

Sorry, i'm the President of the anti-SUV movement here at Talkbass, that had to be said.

But seriously.....gas isn't that expensive. Arn't they paying the equivilent of 6-7$ a gallon over in Europe? Believe it or not, 2$ a gallon is cheap (although I thought we just took over a country that has PLENTY of oil?).
  7. It might be a "punishment fits the crime" thing.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...that argument is weak. Tell the English to pay $175 a week in health care, like I used to. Everyone loves to throw that around, yet no one thinks about it in economic context. Sorry to single your post out, but it's truly a meaningless argument.

edit: on topic, I've seen the Police at the gas station.

9. Ehh, you're missing the point. Sure, the taxes we pay make the average cost for gas here the same as in Europe. But to actually fill up a tank is still much less. You're paying the rest no matter what, and when you're actually using gas, you're paying less.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm not missing the point at all, I'm saying in any economic system value is placed at different levels on different things, due to a large variety of factors. Telling an American that $2.00 for a gallon of regular is cheap is pointless, it is not cheap to us.
  11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm a broke college kid who has to drive home 200 miles very often. And I don't think 2$ a gallon is very expensive. I also drive a Ford Contour, and I can get home and back to school on the same tank of gas. I don't own a tank sized Explorer or a Ford F-500 that gets 14 miles a gallon.

As president of the Anti-SUV club here.....too many HUGE vehicles on the road!
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i am married, own a home, a couple of cars, pay taxes (local, state and fed), have bills up the yang.....$2 a gallon is alot....

there are people here who have kids (in addition to what i listed).....that makes the $2 a gallon even worse....
  13. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Also, cop cars aren't "turbofried." At least in CA. They are stock, it's too expensive to make them any different then the modifications they already require.
  14. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i drive a Dakota that burns about 13 MPG on a good day...going downhilll...with a tailwind. it sucks to see ths prices go up, but i cant complain about it, buying that particular model was my choice and i knew what i would be in for.

i think cop cars are magical. they dont require gasoline. ;)
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's probably the case in most places with the marked cars (just a guess). My uncle is a senior investigator with the harris county DA (Houston) and his old unmarked duty car was a caprice that had (I believe) a nicely tuned Chevy 350 dropped in it. These days his duty car is some kind of SUV though I think.

brad cook
  16. In this area, the local police, fire, and sheriff's office fuel at a centralized county maintainence facility. The state highway patrol, due to their much wider patrol area, does fuel at public service stations. We traded our last suv in just last month on our second (his and hers) Ford Focus. For under $30K I have two vehicles that meet our cargo requirements, and get over 30mpg on the hwy.
    Our drummer's wife drives a Ford Expedition, but is usually hauling four children( 4-17), which seems to justify it. What I hate to see is the single woman driver running 80-90 on the expressway, on her way to work, driving an Excursion or Suburban. Just my $.02

17. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Yes they were nicely tuned. An LT1 Corvette engine in the Caprices...I've had the gas pedal through the floor several times in those for various reasons. Amazing what you can do with such a huge 4 door sedan with the right amount of power. Ahhhh...those were the days.
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Our cars are standard "Police Package" Ford Crown Victorias. We have our own pump at the City Street Dept.
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My dad and uncle are both sheriffs here, they have ford crown victorias, but they managed to get corvette engines in them.

They haul.
  20. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Our policemen fill up at the Village's public works compound.

And, uh, I also hate SUVs. Or something. English gas, and whatnot. :eyebrow: