that amp head....???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Alright, this is gonna be tough, but I figure it's worth a shot here...

I was at a music store that I cannot get back to (or call) for a while and I played some different setups while there and found an amp head that sounded fantastic to me. But I can't remember the name, so I will describe to the best of my ability and hopefully someone here will knwo what the brand is or maybe even the model...

>It was almost completely silver/chrome on the front.
    >No colors that I recall
    >Had really large (also silver) knobs for the volume and gain (I would estimate they were about 2 inches in diameter)
    >It had a knob for solid state gain and for tube gain on the left side of the face-plate (side by side)
    >Had 1 row (maybe 2 don't recall for sure) of 5 or 6 small LEDs going upwards on the face plate to show the signal level/clipping.
    >Had a graphic EQ towards the right side of the faceplate and a graphic EQ 'defeat' button as well...

The two things that really stick out in my mind was the fact that it was ALL silver/chrome on the face and it had unusually large silver knobs...

This is all I can really recall about it. It looked fairly new, and I don't think it was any real major brand. I'm positive it wasn't SWR, eden, ampeg...

I know it's vague, but I'm trying my best to figure out what it was...

2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Sounds like it could be an older model amp from either Trace Elliot,Hughes & Kettner,Mesa-Boogie(maybe),or Yorkville.Go to ,and type in these amp maker's names,and run a search on them.
    If that doesn't work,go to and browse the "amp heads" list,to see if anything rings a bell.Good Luck.:)
  3. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    sounds like a . . . .

. . . . pointless post
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, Merlin is solidstate only.

Maybe one of those silver-panel Trace-Elliots?
  5. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Laney B1 maybe. Only one knob though but fits the description otherwise.
  6. "sounds like a . . . .

. . . . pointless post"

Looks like a...pointless response to a "pointless post". If it's so pointless, why waste your time?

After much searching, I found out that it was the Laney B1 as flacko suspected.
  7. Thanks alot...

I'm thinking with a 1/2 record on product success, I'll pass on this one...