Question of cable application.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know I really shouldn't use an instrument cable as a speaker cable (bad news), but can I use a speaker cable as an instrument cable?

I can't imagine why I couldn't, but I figured I'd ask in case the answer is "If you do, flaming Mars monkeys will come and spank you!" or some such less-than-timely demise.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

If you do, flaming Mars monkeys will come and spank you.

Other than that, your sound will suck.

If played thru a Speaker cable, it would "work". You would hear tone. Very quiet, distorted tone. It's just one of those "Don'ts". Sorta like hanging out with that crowd of "Ice Pluto Monkeys"....

It's just not a good idea. Your rig won't blow up or anything. Eh, what the hell, it's just that eden crap anyway.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    It'll work, but there is no shielding in a speaker cable since it's made to work at low impedances and carry higher power levels. You will pick up EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) such as 60 Hz. hum and other vast and sundry unpleasantries, especially with a passive bass. Oh yea, and flaming Mars monkeys will come down and spank you.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, it's right up there with Rogue, that Eden crap. I keep wanting to get me a bitchin' Peavey rig. Them's sooo cool.
  6. Instrument (=low-ish signal) cables are screened to earth to prevent the inner core picking up all sorts of mains hum, flourescent lighing noise, etc. The impedances are crucial here.

Speaker cables are designed to work with very low impedances (=amp output / speaker cab impedance). The need for screening just doesn't exist, therefore, so such cables are usually made from mains flex.

Both will work either way round. But. BUT, a speaker cable as a guitar lead will pick up all that unwanted electrical noise. Guitar leads as speaker leads will probably fry because they're not designed to handle large currents.

7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Technically, they'll be Venusian. You still don't want to do it, though.

(Because speaker cable isn't shielded.)