question of identity....please give your opion QUICK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SMG, Nov 8, 2003.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    OK, here is the deal...

I have been slowly re-building a DP to make it playable as well as a bit more aestheticly pleasing. I have done the following to it..,
    1. pulled off the fretboard and replaced it
    2. refretted it
    3. cleaned up the pickup routes
    4. cleaned up the body curves
    5. cleaned up the lopsided (not intentional) headstock curves
    6. flattened the body (it had a slight "V" to it before...coming up on each side in back from the center...nothing like a Spector belly curve...rather poor woodworking)
    7. made a wood cavity cover
    8. made a wood truss rod cover
    9. am now in the process of putting a clear coat of nitro lacquer on it.

I seek opinions of people on this board on the following, but I need them QUICKLY. I am almost finished rubbing out (wet sanding) the first coats of lacquer and when done will spray the top coats. This is the point in which I usually put on my own initials "SG" on my projects. Here is the your opinions, with all of the above work done, is this still a "DP" custom or has it evolved to an "SG" custom?

Please respond with your comments!!!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. Well it seems you've build more to it, than cleaned more of it. So I'd say it's more on the SG side. But to call something your own customly, I think it all must be totally built from scratch. Or it can be called your own SG custom since you put together custom parts, and some manufactured stuff.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    sorry for my horrible spelling in the original post...I know I wrote opion instead of opinion...anyway, I see a number of people have read this post but only a couple of stated a feeling. What about the rest of you?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, if you restored a semi-trashed classic car, would you knock off the Cadilac sign and put SG there? :p
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Interesting problem. If I assembled a bass from factory-made parts, I'd have no problem putting my name on the headstock. But here you've got something where someone else did a lot of work, and so did you. And to complicate things, your work was necessary to correct the poor quality of some of the previous work. It's hard to decide.

I guess if I had sigificantly reshaped the body, I might put my name on it. Between that and the fretboard, it's kind of like you got a bass kit, and made a bass out of it.
  7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    for those that read and/or responded to this post...

I decided (before reading all of the comments) to leave the headstock blank. The original maker had hand written his name on the headstock with a marker, and this was removed when I resanded the whole thing. The instrument now has no marks of identification.

8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If you take on old Fender, put on a newer Warmoth neck (therefore, no logo on headstock), change out the pickups and preamp and re-assemble it, what do you have? If you were selling it, would you call it a modified Fender? Would you call it a project bass?