1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question of quality and sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    I know a thread like this might not catch many answers as it might seem mundane, but I'm new to the whole pedal thing and was wondering if yall could help a bit.

I've been shopping for an overdrive and have seen pedals ranging from $30 (Behringer) to $50 (Ibanez) All the way to $100 (boss). Also some digitech thrown in.

I know you get what you pay for(most of the time) but are the lower priced ones worth buying? Are they crap?

Also, is there any good pocket amps or those tiny ones for a bass? I work a lot and want to practice at work but don't want to haul the amp around.

I hope someone can give the new guy some info, thanks!

2. As far as pedals go - try before you buy - with our own equip.

And for a practice amp. Small ones (SS 30w or less) aren't worth bothering with. If you use an hot active bass, just get a good pair of headphones and plug directly from your bass to that. If you run a passive, it may need a little boosting......
    Much cheaper!

3. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Generally speaking, it is true about getting what you pay for in terms of build quality, but sound is completely subjective.
    There are great pedals that are relatively cheap, but the only judge is your ears. If you love the sound of a pedal and the price is ok for you, go for it.

There are many, many threads around here on specific pedals so the search button is your friend.