Question of refinishing bassguitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Dec 7, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Hi guys, I recently put a chip in my stingray :(. Which took the paint right off but not a dent. Is there a guy who I can ship it too who refinishs basses? I know the cost and stuff so I'd be willing to pay for it. I tryed contacting Ernie Ball from email and phone and they just jerk me around so anyone else? Perhaps a custom lutheir or something?
  2. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    ps it was right below the bridge it chipped :()
  3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Too bad about the chip.....

Is it a BIG chip or is it a "gives the bass a character" chip?

Sorry, but I can´t be of any further assisstance.
  4. That is, if it's less than say, a half inch squared or so, it's no really a problem,

You're gonna spend too much money on aesthetics, when your time would be more useful on your technique
  5. Huge generalization:

If it is still structurally and functionally sound, the original finish with a chip is preferable to a refinish.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    A refinish will cost you twice. Once when you have it done, and later if you try to sell it.
  7. The shipping would be about $25 for UPS each way. A professional would charge about $100 and the repair may not blend in all that well.
    Try looking at Guitar Reranch on the web for advice and materials for a do it yourself solution.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I understand how frustating that is. My beautiful MIA JD5 has suffered a couple of small chips and dings. As frustating as it is, the best thing is to just leave it.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they give your bass character. leave it!!!

10. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I would leave it the way it is. Chipped Stingrays are always cool :)
  11. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    By the way this is an ugly chip ,a awful ugly chip. Maurice ElDarko why would I be focusing on my technique? If anything I need to focus on upright bass more. I just find it strange how that just came out....

Anyways I my band auditioned for another gig in January and we nailed it :D Very cool =)
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a chip, but if you're really concerned about appearaces and don't think that you will sell you bass any time soon (or ever), you cold always go with a sticker. A friend of mine has an ES-355 copy that is covered in stickers (from tiny ones to bumber stickers) from strange & interesting places he's been around the country-most of them are hilarious. What ever you do, refinishes are "usually" never a good idea, especially for something as trivial as a chip.
  13. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    well I got in touch with a buddy who refinishs through some friends he said he will be able to match it.... I'm thinking....