Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warpedmephisto, Dec 31, 2003.

1. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    As I'm saving up for my Ampeg 810 and Ampeg SVT-4 PRO, I was wondering if I could just buy the cabinet now (since I only have enough cash for just the cabinet at this time) and run my Peavey Sessions Bass head (200 watts) through it with no problems. I know this would be way underpowering the cab, which is rated at 1600 watts, but would it hurt anything in the longrun?

2. no even if you put the amp into clipping the ampeg is rated so much higher that it probly wouldnt damage it, it should be fine.

3. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Cool, then I'll just use my Sessions bass head for now until I save up for the SVT-4 PRO. Now next question, will it hurt the head if I try and push it into the 810?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Assuming that your amp is able to power a 4 ohm cabinet, you should be fine. The 810 is pretty efficient too, so you'll be able to make lots of noise:D

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

5. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Badass, thats what I'm looking to do. :D It can push a 4 ohm cab, I believe at 200 watts and an 8 ohm at 160 watts. I'll probably have enough cash this weekend to go out and buy the 810. I'll let y'alls know how it goes. Thanks guys!

6. Just as a side note...I know everyone's said, 'you'll be fine with that amp/cab config.' but of the speakers I've had to replace (for other players) it's due to clipping. Even at moderate volumes it can start frying voice coils.

7. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Hmm.. So are you saying there's a chance that I might damage the 810's speakers by underpowering them? If so is there anything that I can do to make sure I do not damage them, besides buying a full power head (STV-4 PRO). I am only going to be using the 200 watt head for a short period. I am in a band and we practice usually twice a week for about 3-4 hours a night with shows about every other weekend. I will be using the SVT-4 PRO head after I gather enough cash for it. As long as I keep the clipping to a minimum I should be ok, right?

8. That's the key...keep the clipping to a minimum. - Fight the urge to turn to '11' now that you've got all those speakers. And for the short term, you'll probably be ok...clipping an underpowered amp has got to be better than clipping 2000 watts!

9. you should be able to set the gain at just below clipping and crank the master volume up with no probs.

I think that sessionbass has a DDT button on it, which is to protect speakers against clipping, mine did when I had it. I used to use it with a 2x15 cab and it was plenty loud in the practice room. I never gigged with it though.

10. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Yep, I use the DDT button. So as long as I have that on, I shouldn't have any problems at all, correct? And fighting that urge to 11 the gain and master is going to be damn hard.. :spit:

11. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    There's pretty much no way that a 200-watt head could damage a cabinet rated at 800 watts.

A 200-watt head in full clipping is putting out a theoretical maximum of 400 watts, which is just half the rated power of the cabinet.

The solid state overdrive will sound like complete useless crap long before you damage the 810.

12. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Good to know.

Now I have another question. What tone of sound will I get out of the 810 and SVT-4 PRO head or the 810 and Sessions Bass head for temporary use? I'm looking to get fat, rich low end, but the punching mids as well. Will the 810 provide this?

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Sure it could, if it's pushing square wave distortion (clipping) into it. However, I may be wrong.

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You are.

15. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You should probably at least go to a music store and try the SVT-4/810 rig for yourself. Take your own bass to the store with you. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but you should hear for yourself before you drop that kind of cash.

If you decide you like that setup, I wouldn't worry so much about how the Peavey sounds through it. It will at least be adequate until you're able to get the Ampeg head.

16. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Cool. I've played on it a few times before and loved it, but I was afraid to crank it up too much in the middle of the store. I'll go there sometime with my bass and crank out on it.

17. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't worry about damaging the 810. . . you'll probably blow the front windows out of the store before you hurt that cabinet.

18. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Cool. I'm going tomorrow evening to pick it up. I'll let you all know how things work out.

19. Hey since I know you're near St. Louis, where are you buying it?

20. warpedmephisto

warpedmephisto

Sep 20, 2003
    Guitar Center in Crestwood.