1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on a new/used Fender P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Apr 30, 2018.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Last week I bought a used p bass. The sellers communication has dropped off, so I started getting a little worried, and starting reviewing the pictures of the bass.

It was sold as a 2013, but the serial # starts US11, which would make this an '11. I also noticed the back of the headstock says American special, and the body does not have the string through. The picture quality is pretty bad, but the bridge, doesn't look like the high mass bridge I would think Fender uses.

Can I get some info on specs? I don't know what an American Special is.

Thanks.

2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    the American Special P Basses did not come equipped with a high mass bridge, nor were they string through bodies...

• Body Material: Alder
    • Neck: Maple with Slim "C" shape
    • Neck Finish: Satin urethane finish
    • Fretboard: Rosewood
    • Fretboard radius: 9.5"
    • Frets: 20, medium jumbo
    • Scale length: 34"
    • Nut width: 1.625"
    • String nut: Synthetic bone
    • Truss rod nut: 3/16" adjustable hex nut
    • Pickup: Split single-coil P Bass pickup
    • Controls: Volume, Greasebucket tone circuit (rolls off highs without adding bass)
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Tuning keys: Standard
    • Bridge: Standard Vintage 4 Saddle Bass
    • Strap buttons: Vintage style strap buttons
    • Control knobs: Knurled chrome P Bass knobs
    • Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
    • Case: Deluxe gig bag included

3. I hope this works out for you, but next time, don't buy a bass from an ad with blurry pics, or if you don't know what it is you're buying.

4. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Yep, looks like I really screwed that up. I'm going to contact them about cancelling the sale.

Is there a place I can find the current history of the Fender P Bass. I thought I read something about a major upgrade in 2008. Any other dates I should be aware of? It doesn't look like the specials produced anymore?

5. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley

The American Special P's were intended to have a vintage vibe...

6. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    they have several different lines...some geared towards the vintage...others with high mass bridges, string through bodies and active pre-amps...lol as soon as you get used to the different lines and their appointments they change them...

sounds like what you want is an American Elite P bass or American Pro P

7. The American Specials are not bad, but they are (I think) the cheapest MIA option. They sit right in the middle of the MIM Standard and the American Standard.
    Again, nothing wrong with them, the whole line on basses and guitars tend to be more "classic" and they also save money by not giving you a case but a gig bag.

If you paid a fair price, you shouldn't worry (unless they guy said it was something different)