Question on action across the neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by odie, Jan 17, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive always wondered, is it even posible to have the same action in the first postion(by headstock) versus the action around the 12 th fret??
  2. It must be posible. It depends on the neck relief..
  3. It also depends on the angle of the neck to the body. Plus afaik the action HAS to be higher in the middle of the scale because the amplitude when you plug the string.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sure it's possible. But you need some relief on a fretted bass to eliminate buzzez. Fretless, okay.
  5. Maybe it's a misunderstanding about "action". For me action is the distance from strings to frets or the fretboard. And I have never seen a bass that had the same action at the 1 and 12 fret.
  6. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    about a million years ago a company called microfrets tried it by having an adjustable nut as well as bridge. It was a total failure. Particularly so in the bass guitar dept.

The closer you get to the end of the string, the harder it is to flex. Those basses were stiff like an upright on the first three frets.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's definitely possible to get a situation where there is very little difference and this is what I aim for. You need to have as flat a fingerboard as possible - zero relief and careful setup.

I always point people to the article in Bass Player :

"Setup Master Class With Anthony Jackson"