Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 20one, May 30, 2003.

1. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    On my Ibanez EDB 500 4 string I have the action set to it's lowest on the bridge yet the strings are still very high above the 12th fret. Anything else I can do to lower the action even more without creating fret buzz at the top of the neck?

Thanks.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, the obvious answer is to adjust the neck relief using the truss rod - but without seeing the bass and how the relief is currently, it is difficult to give definitive advice.

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    And the not so obvious is to shim the neck,(as long as it is a bolt on), to raise the neck up toward the strings. Are the saddles resting on the bridge base? Depending on bridge construction you may be able to modify it to lower the action.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd start by assessing the curvature of the neck - is it flat, slightly bowed or significantly bowed. Basses are normally set somewhere between flat and a slight bow (with the nut end of the neck slightly higher than the body end, giving a bit more room for the strings to vibrate without buzzing). This is what the truss-rod is for - adjusting the amount of bow in the neck.

I'm sure some searching on TB will turn up more information about the use of the truss rod. Once you've got that set the way you want you can consider bridge adjustments and possibly adding a shim to the neck.

Wulf

5. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    the neck relief is fine... it is a bolt on neck so I'll try to put a spacer in between the body and the neck, didn't really think of that... thx

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Hope it works for ya. I have heard that cut up beer/soda cans make good shims.