Question on Active/Passive Push-pull...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SomeKindofRobot, Feb 21, 2010.

1. SomeKindofRobot

SomeKindofRobot

Feb 18, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    So I'm thinking of upgrading the stock preamp in my Ibanez SR505 to a Bartolini NTMB but noticed there's two options, one for a active/passive push-pull on the volume knob or without. Now I like the idea of push-pull but does it matter what type pickups I have with it? Such as if the pickups are active will it even work? I currently have the stock MK1 pickups but I did a search and there's a debate on whether these are even active or just passive with and active pre. Apparently some people have contacted Bartolini and they're not even sure since the MK1 is made overseas? Also if I wanted to upgrade the pups somewhere down the line to MK5's would those be compatible?

Anyway sorry for the noob question, I'm trying to learn more about my instrument and search has failed me yet again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Those pickups are passive. The active/passive switch will work fine. I am not familiar with the MK5s, so I can't help there.

3. Active/passive switching applies to the preamp only.
    The pickups will always be active.

In "active" mode, the preamp is in the circuit.
    In "passive" mode, the preamp is not in the circuit but it is still being powered by the battery, along with the pickups.

4. Ok, "active" means the preamp will be in the circuit, and "passive" means the entire signal path will be passive, but the preamp will still be powered by the battery.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'm a big fan of the stock pre actually. Just out of curiosity, what do you find lacking?

6. SomeKindofRobot

SomeKindofRobot

Feb 18, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Alright, so basically it just affects the preamp itself and it really doesn't matter on the pickups?

7. Yes.

8. SomeKindofRobot

SomeKindofRobot

Feb 18, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm not really loving the high end on it as it tends to be a little, uh, hissy I guess? But other than that I have no problems with it. I'm really looking to upgrade it mostly because I sort of, well, broke it. While fiddling with the treble knob it felt pretty loose so I tugged on it a bit, because that's what smart people do, and it just popped off. I wasn't able to to fit the little metal shaft back into it without it just falling back out and I'm not sure how to fix it. I could take it in I guess but I don't know how much it would cost to fix such a little thing and was thinking I may as well replace it instead and see where it takes my tone. Plus having the active/passive option sounds appealing as I heard passive may sound better while recording? I figured it's worth a shot since I'm getting a nice chunk back from taxes.

9. SomeKindofRobot

SomeKindofRobot

Feb 18, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Great. Well thanks so much for your help and the speedy reply! :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021