Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Aguilar heads and power.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Feb 25, 2002.

1. I am looking to get either a DB750 or DB359. I'm wondering, how do the two compare to each other? What kind of tonal differences are their from the 359 to the 750? Also, would I be able to power two GS210s, or a GS410, or GS210 and GS115, or GS210 and GS212 together using only the DB359? Would that be loud or quiet? And in comparisson to the 750, would it be equally as loud? Also, on the DB359, if I wanted to use it for studio purposes, if I turn the unit on, and keep the standby off, with the Balanced output still work? Same question for the DB750.

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    That's a lot of questions :D . I can answer the one about what the DB 359 can power because I asked Aguilar that same question. PJ suggested the GS 410, or for a more modular approach : 2 GS 210s or a GS 210 and GS 212. That's sort of the "default" setup.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have not had much experience with the DB750, but I own the DB359, and I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can. Power wise, the DB359 is 200 watts RMS. However, being an all tube amplifier, you can press it pretty hard, and probably achieve around 400 watts. I have a
    GS210 cabinet, and I plan on adding the GS212 soon. The 2x10 is great, but it bottoms out by itself on a Low B. Still sickeningly loud! The 2x12 will complete the tonal spectrum, and let me take full advantage of the power.

When in standby mode, the DB359's balanced out can still be used for studio applications.

The differnce between the 2 amps (DB750 and DB359) are basically headroom. Both can be almost equally "loud", but the 750 affords you a lot of additional head room. :)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

given the mosfet power amp of the 750, it might have a slightly quicker feel and attack which is great for slap and funk. the 359's all tube power amp might have a more creamier and luscious tone for jazz and finger work.

if you're doing gigs and need something light, i'd go with the 750... cause luggin' 50 lbs. of the 359 would get old really fast. if you've got use for a car, then it wouldnt make a diff.

i'm usually stepping in and out of cabs, so i want something nice and light to use... i wish like anything, that Aguilar would make a 15 lbs. box like Eden's traveller series... i like my WT400, but i'd kill for an Aguilar that size!!

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have a DB750 with an SWR Megaliath cab, and a Kern pre.

The DB750 can get very loud. It will shake the stage at max volume, which is Kern at 1/2, Ag on full. (I turn it toward center stage, so my bandmates can hear me, but it reduces the effect on the FOH.) At rehearsal volumes, I have the Kern output set at about 1/3, Ag max. This is plenty of volume.

6. Out of curiousity, how did you get a hold of a DB750? I thought they aren't on the market till the 9th of March.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    And why would you stick a Kern pre in front the Aggie pre?

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Oops, my bad. I was talking about the DB728. Sorry.

9. Ahh ok, that makes much more sense, so you were then talking about how loud the tubes can be rather than how loud or good the solidstate is.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i dunno if this answers your question, but to clear things up, he maxed out the Aguilar power amp to smack the tubes with enough juice to milk every bit of that lucsious tube fatness.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've been thinking of getting an Aguilar DB 359, also. The thing is I have to play one. I haven't seen one around & the dealer that I know of in NY (Rudy's) didn't have one in stock when I was there. I plan to use it through my SVT-410HLF. I want to compare it to my current amp & it has to BLOW IT AWAY for me to consider it. I really like the fact that the DB 359 is 2 space. My SVT-II Pro is 4 space & weigh about 90lbs, so the 50lb of the aguilar wont be so bad.

The thing is I'm kinda broke right now & i'm happy w/my Ampeg SVP-Pro & SoundTech PS802 pre-amp & my SVT-II Pro.

Man, I hate these threads. :p:D

12. Hey Nino, i was at Rudy's too weekends ago, they have a 359 in stock, or they did then. Else go to the NY Guitar and Bass Boutique. It's not that far from Rudy's and they shoudl definately have one, as well as a 659 and 680 when i was there too.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I was there last Tuesday 2/19 & all they had was a pre-amp & a few cabs. I'll have to check out the NY Guitar and Bass Boutique.

14. Yeah, i think you'll definately find something there. But give them a call too before you go and make sure they've got something in stock.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Oh and Nino,

dont forget good ol' Roger Sadowsky's shop on 1600 Broadway near 48th st. kinda funny, you didnt give him a visit since you're a Sadowsky guy and his soundroom is choked full of Aguilar and EA stuff.

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Roger's shop was the 1st stop. :) I needed to have minor work done on my new Sadowsky (the clear p/g needed to be fitted) & he has a GREAT rig. It's the DB680 pre amp & a DB728 power amp & it sounds GREAT going through a GS 210 & a Beringato (SP?) 112.

If this amp sounds as good as the larger counterpart, I'm SOLD.

17. Hey Aj, do you think that the 359 can be loud when running the 210 and 212? I want to get a GS210 and GS212 and i'm just going to need a head of course to power it. PJ as aguilar was telling me that he personally is going to get those two cabs and the DB750. He said he's going to do that for headroom. Do you think the 359 will power those two cabs and be loud enough for me to tackle and gigs?

Also, a small note on the 750, according to PJ, the head is so loud, they blew out two GS410 cabs with it. hehe ;)