1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question on amp impedance/watts to match new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LyonsBass, Feb 5, 2013.

1. So I`ve done the Ohms FAQ readthrough but i`m yet to find some solid solution to the question I`ve been wondering.

Firstly,if my AMP is 450watts at 4Ohms

Does that mean any other cabinet I connect up to it that runs on 8ohms will draw 225watts due to resistance?

Secondly, I have a 600watt cab at 8 Ohms, does this mean that I have only been getting 225 watts power from the amp?

And if this logic is correct, I am safe to assume that I can get a new 300watt cab at 8 ohms, and push it fairly hard since I will only be getting 225 watts in total?

If this is all pretty much accurate, I should be able to run my 600w + 300w cabs through the 450watt amp for maximum power and volume efficiency. :bassist:

Cheers

2. Yes, yes, and yes. As long as BOTH cabs are 8 ohm cabs you can use both together and the amp will be operating with a 4 ohm load.

With an 8 ohm load your amp will only be able to push 225(ish) watts. With a 4 ohm load (one 4 ohm cab or a combination of cabs that equal 4 ohms, such as 2-8 ohm cabs) your amp will be able to reach its maximum potential.