1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Ampeg SVT 410 HLF - what's that light?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreenBastard, Sep 29, 2008.

1. GreenBastard

GreenBastard

Sep 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    First off, i should mention that i'm, primarily, a drummer and only recently began plunking around on the bass guitar.

i play in a two-piece noise punk band with a guitarist. on some songs, we have an old Roland 505 drum machine take my place and i'll "play" the bass.

I use an Ampeg SVT 450H amp with an SVT 410HLF cabinet. The other day in rehearsal, i had the amp working HARD - and i noticed for the first time (i've only had the cab for a couple months) that there was this yellow glow coming from inside the cab. it got brighter as the signal peaked and dimmed when it wasn't terribly loud.

for all the research i did on this cab before i bought it, i'd never seen anything mentioned about this elusive glow. and i'm wondering what it is?

should i be concerned about this? or am i Killing It Softly With My Song? (sorry - but that tune's been in my head all day)

2. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    It's the ghost of Ampeg past telling you to play harder because it pleases him.

3. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Sometimes theres a low wattage light bulb in the crossover that acts as a fuse.....I think.

4. fatgoogle

fatgoogle

Jun 15, 2008
    Are you sure it wasnt just light reflecting of the cab. It shouldnt glow at all so far as i know. Ive seen cabs spark but that shouldnt happen eithier. If its really glowing as light being produced by the cab ther's something seriosly wrong with it.

5. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i cant speak for that specific cab, but a lot of cabinets have lights in them that act as a fuse for the tweeters. but they usually just flash and then break the circuit if it gets a big surge, AFAIK.

your glow might be that...or it might be a loose wire or something. i would take it apart and look at it. try and locate the source of the glow. if its a lightbulb, i would be less worried. if its wires or something else...get it fixed.

6. GreenBastard

GreenBastard

Sep 29, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    thanks - though not necessarily the response i was hoping for. i played it with all the lights in the room off - and still saw the glow...

any suggestions as to how i can further diagnose the problem?

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    If it is a ghost I would also be worried.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The internal lamp is protecting the tweeter. As you push the tweeter, the lamp heats and eventually lights. As it heats up, its resistance increases, reducing power to the tweeter.

Back off the volume and top end. When the lamp burns out, you have no tweeter till you replace the bulb. You'll hear the difference when it happens.