Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on Amps/Cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Infested_Leming, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    So, is there a way that I could biwire an 8ohm cab to a 4ohm head, ground the other end, and not mess everything up? Or is it more complicated than that?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    sorry I don't have a clue of what you are trying to describe.

3. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    What I'm trying to describe is the same setup as having two 8ohm cabs going into a 4ohm head, but instead of actually having two cabs, would it be possible to trick the head into thinking that I did, and thus run the 8ohm cab at 4ohms, getting more power from the amp?

Also, If I ran my 4ohms head with a single 8ohm cab, what would happen? Would I mess something up, or would I just experience a volume/power loss somewhere?

4. No it would not hurt it. You wouldn't loose any power you just won't get as much volume with one eight ohm speaker. However if you put two eight ohm speakers on the amp it will be a four ohm load. You won't gain more power just more speaker area. However that amp does put out more power to run in a four ohm load but you have to remember you are putting two speakers on it. You could however put one four ohm cab with one speaker on the four ohm head and it may sound a bit louder. confused yet?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    a. Guitarists sometimes use a "dummy load" box to drive their amps harder. I'm not sure it would help you get any louder though. Why don't you just get a 4 ohm cab? The wattage difference between 8 and 4 ohms on most amps is not *that* big. You can notice the difference, but it's not twice as loud or anything like that. If you want more volume, get a second 8 ohm cab and then you'll have a bit more wattage and a lot more speaker area.

b. Stop thinking you have a 4 ohm head, you don't. You have a 4 ohm minimum head, which means you can always use higher impedances but never lower. Higher impedances won't hurt your amp but they will be quieter.