1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question on an Ampeg V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpark, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Can anyone comment on how loud these are? I've seen some reviews where people complain about them not being very loud. I played it's big brother the classic and loved the tone, I've read that tone wise, they're almost identical. So I've been thinking about saving up for one. If anyone can let me know I would appreciate it.

2. i am also interested in picking one of these up. I also played the SVT-CL and loved the tone, just wondering the same thing you are, is 100 tube watts loud enough?

bumppppppppp...

3. I havn't ever seen one as backline- they are probabally not loud enough with the inefficent SVT 810E. But if you pair em with an efficent cab- such as a Schroeder or Eden or something- then they will probabally be enough. I have been thinking of getting a used vintage one thats been sitting at GC for a few months...

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I've been using my Bassman 135 for two years in an 8 peice band, and it's loud enough for 85% of the shows we do...I might be selling it soon if anyone is interested;)

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ampeg V4BH doesn't have a ton of power, but it cuts through well. I agree that an efficient cabinet would be a wise choice if you are considering one. Funny how they aren't near as loud as the old V4B's were...

6. how do you think it would do with the SVT-410HLF or HE. Or The new Cab they just came out with its called the SVT 112HE, its just a 12 inch speaker with a tweeter.

would it be able to carry with either of those?

Im not talking about playing rock arenas but how about medium to mid sized venues.

7. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I had the chance to play one through an ampeg 4x10 in a local store and it was farting out all over the place. Not sure if it was the amp (tubes) or the cab. Poor volume, sterile tone, farting... I was rather dissapointed (I was GASing and wanted to walk out of the store with both). But then it may not have been a fair asessment because tube heads in stores are often abused... it may have needed new tubes.

I ended up getting a 200W traynor YBA200 because it was cheaper, much louder... and sounded WAY better through it's matching cab than did the V4b-h/4x10. Another bass player even interrupted me to say that my ric sounded great through the traynor rig... and that he would get that if he was in my position.

8. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    If you want ampeg, go for a 70's v4b... they are louder and have great tone. I recorded with one before I got my traynor and I loved it (it is what sold me on all tubes).

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    IIRC, the V4BH is MUCH lighter than 70s V4Bs, so it sounds like they must've skimped on the transformers.

10. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    The new V4BH's are around 40lbs. I know a guy who has a vintage V4B, I'm going to give it a go through my rig and see how it sounds.

How does the Traynor YBA-200 stand up to the ampeg tube amps? Mainly the V4BH?

11. I found my V4BH to be lacking in the headroom deparment. I used mine through a couple of avatar (1x12 and a c115). Had it for one gig and sold it..
    I have had a couple of the old V4Bs, which are way louder.. and heavier. The first one I ran through an 8x10 and the second through a 2x15 cab. I preferred the 2x15.
    They are going for about $600 on eBay right now. I actually saw one go for $280 the other day. Someone got a killer deal on an early '70s model. Go for the vintage!

12. like jpark, i would also be interested how the v-4bh holds up with the traynor yba200 and the new ampeg b200r combo? any thoughts?

13. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    up for the day crowd