Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on an older bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Sep 20, 2002.

1. My former guitarist walks into school today, carrying a bass case, borrowed the bass from a friend...I open it up and it is a BEATUTIFUL Epiphone, 4 string...A Jazz Looking body....The neck felt like a larger P-Bass...and the head was a traditional scroll with 2+2 pegs...The P/us were LARGE humbuckers, there was 1 vol, 1 tone, and a pickup selector, the P/U selector was down towards the bottom fin...It had a funny looking pickguard and had a really pretty red fade finish...Anybody seen something close to this??

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Did the bass look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, it's either an ET-280, ET-285 or ET-288N (the one in the picture is an ET-280). I'm afraid I don't know the difference between the 3, but I'm pretty sure they all look basically the same. They're Japanese, made in the 70s. I've only ever tried one for a 5 minute spin, and it seemed nice. The thing I've always heard about them is that they can do a VERY believable Precision bass impersonation, and are definately worth considering when encountered.

3. Damn....That's IT!!!Was that a price tag on that???If so, how much...A new bass is a little far off...But that'd be worth trying for....

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a ET-285, and it was different than the one pictured. It had humbucking pickups that looked just like the ones on a Les Paul (but with 4 polepieces), and the body was shaped more like a P bass, not as elongated as that one. It was my first bass, and I really want to get another one. You see them occasionally on ebay for $250 or $300.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Showdown, thanks for the clarification on that. I wasn't 100% sure what each model meant, but I knew somewhere in there was the bass that DryWater'Bass was talking about!! ;) Strangely enough, these basses come up in forum conversations quite regularly, so I've had this discussion once or twice before.

DryWater'Bass, I don't know much about the bass I pictured .... I just did a search using Google, and came up with that photo. This is the site it's from

http://www.musicalport.com/

Like Showdown, I've also seen these basses on Ebay, but I honestly can't remember a value. I'd say what Showdown has suggested (in that $200 to $300 range) sounds about right.