1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question on an older bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Sep 20, 2002.

1. My former guitarist walks into school today, carrying a bass case, borrowed the bass from a friend...I open it up and it is a BEATUTIFUL Epiphone, 4 string...A Jazz Looking body....The neck felt like a larger P-Bass...and the head was a traditional scroll with 2+2 pegs...The P/us were LARGE humbuckers, there was 1 vol, 1 tone, and a pickup selector, the P/U selector was down towards the bottom fin...It had a funny looking pickguard and had a really pretty red fade finish...Anybody seen something close to this??

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Did the bass look like this?

[​IMG]

If so, it's either an ET-280, ET-285 or ET-288N (the one in the picture is an ET-280). I'm afraid I don't know the difference between the 3, but I'm pretty sure they all look basically the same. They're Japanese, made in the 70s. I've only ever tried one for a 5 minute spin, and it seemed nice. The thing I've always heard about them is that they can do a VERY believable Precision bass impersonation, and are definately worth considering when encountered.

3. Damn....That's IT!!!Was that a price tag on that???If so, how much...A new bass is a little far off...But that'd be worth trying for....

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a ET-285, and it was different than the one pictured. It had humbucking pickups that looked just like the ones on a Les Paul (but with 4 polepieces), and the body was shaped more like a P bass, not as elongated as that one. It was my first bass, and I really want to get another one. You see them occasionally on ebay for $250 or $300.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Showdown, thanks for the clarification on that. I wasn't 100% sure what each model meant, but I knew somewhere in there was the bass that DryWater'Bass was talking about!! ;) Strangely enough, these basses come up in forum conversations quite regularly, so I've had this discussion once or twice before.

DryWater'Bass, I don't know much about the bass I pictured .... I just did a search using Google, and came up with that photo. This is the site it's from

http://www.musicalport.com/

Like Showdown, I've also seen these basses on Ebay, but I honestly can't remember a value. I'd say what Showdown has suggested (in that $200 to $300 range) sounds about right.