Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question on an SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pthump, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    My question is about this bass

http://www.rondomusic.net/spj62.html

I want a bass with that PUP configuration, but also need a bass with white body and black pickguard for a current project I'm in (don't ask). My question is about the color "vintage white".. is this white white, or more of a beige mother-of-pearl kinda thing going on here. Also, would a normal fender pickguard fit on this bass? I know I would have to make an extra hole for the extra knob, would that be an issue? Thanks very much in advance.

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    From what I know regular fender pickguards aren't an exact fit. They can be made to fit but aren't a direct replacement. Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

3. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    awww fender pick guards don't fit essex basses? bummer

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    They can be made to fit rather easy. Also, Kurt will be getting black pickguards in from the factory. I've got a white one showing up Monday. I'll probably spray paint the current one black until I can get a real one.

Glenn D.

5. :smug: velvet revolver cover band???

6. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    ok - so the vintage white, how white are we talking here? Anyone have any vintage white instrument they can show me?

7. White SX Thunderbird bass

8. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    ok, but thats called olympic white, not vintage white. I'm assuming vintage white might be different? :eyebrow:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    and iirc, the vintage white is a little more yellowed than the olympic.

11. I think vintage white is kind of beige-y white.

Doesn't the vintage white SX PJ come standard with a black pickguard? I'm pretty sure I saw that. I'd ask Kurt.

You won't have to drill an extra hole if you get a new pickguard. The third pot should fit where the jack normally goes. The jack on the SX PJ must be on the side.

12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. . .weird flick.

Can we buy these things unfinsished or scratch-and-dent? I really want a certain color and thought about attemtpting a refinish myself.

13. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Well, it was supposed to. The ones that came in had a white pickguard. He's trying to get replacements from the factory, but that's why the pictures with black pickguards aren't on the Rondo site anymore.

Glenn D.

14. That movie shocked me as a child. I was maybe 7 years old when I watched it.

15. Brice/Sx whatever man!

Next thing you're going to correcting me on is the number of strings it's got.

Which is 5.

:)

16. Rondo Music is actually a shop located on Rt. 22 in New Jersey. So they do get quite a bit of floor traffic and have floor models. I'd suggest you email Rondo and ask them if they do have any floor models for sale.

17. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I don't think they'll ship floor models.

Glenn D.

18. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    So its probably the beige-y white eh? Hmmm, and if the pickguard is indeed white, how easy is it to paint a white guard black ala spray paint or any other method?

19. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'll let you know :smug:

Glenn D.

20. Pthump

Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    Thanks Glenn, probably seems like all I care about is the looks of the bass, not usually true, but in the case of this bass it is :)