1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question on Analog Mixer to PCI Soundcard hookup

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ParadigmBass, Oct 14, 2010.

1. I've been driving myself nuts on how to do this for a while. I've got an M-audio Audiophile 192 PCI sound card with 2 main outs, 2 monitor outs, 2 In, 2 MIDI, and S/PDIF I/O. All of those are 1/4" inputs as well. Im using Pro Tools M Powered for my sequencer. My question is, if I'm recording a drum set with 12 mics, (and let's say hypothetically I'm using a 16 channel mixer with enough XLR inputs to hook all the mics up to record,) how do I get a studio set up to where I can get two way communication between the mixer and my DAW? More specifically so that I can record to 12 individual mono tracks in pro tools instead of just hooking up one stereo connection between the mixer and the soundcard. What do I need extra to make that happen? I want to be able to manually control everything on the mixer board instead of just being able to record the track for drums one time and on playback not being able to control the level of each drum or room mic individually. I hope I'm not being too confusing.

Thanks for any possible help!

2. I'm assuming I need some sort of interface in between the mixer and the sound card with S/PDIF I/O hookup capabilities.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    S/PDIF is only stereo. Your current interface only has 2 inputs, so that's the most tracks you can record at once. What you're looking for is something with 16 analog Ins. Most reasonably priced units go up to 8 analog Ins, but get one that has ADAT I/O and you can extend it with an add on 8 channel convertor.

I don't know what your budget is, but M-Audio makes an 8-channel interface or two. And Behringer makes an 8-channel convertor pretty cheap.

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    For example, the Profire 2626 is $700, and the Behringer ADA8000 is $200. Grab your optical cables from Buy.com for a few bucks.

5. Thanks for the help!